Ford Focus - Dull Drive - iFocus

Hi All,

I've currently got a 2017 1.5T Ford Focus Ecoboost on hire to me whilst my car is being repaired after an accident.

Having had it now for about 4 days I'm becoming to realise how dull the thing is to drive, yes it's a Focus and it handles well; but I've noticed how blunted the performance feels and it doesn't feel anything like the 1.4TSi I had in a Golf a few years ago. If anything it feels gutless and it revs to much without pulling as you'd (or at least I'd) expect from a Turbo petrol.

Does anyone else drive one of these cars and think the same? Or could it be the Euro 6 issue as mentioned in another thread.

Unbelievably, I can't wait for my 2008 Kia Cee'd to be given back to me!

Craig

Edited by exCee'dingly Good on 08/07/2017 at 19:33

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - SLO76
Haven't driven the current 1.5 Ecoboost but I'm surprised it's as lacking as you say. The previous 1.6 was pretty impressive all round.
Haven't driven the current 1.5 Ecoboost but I'm surprised it's as lacking as you say. The previous 1.6 was pretty impressive all round.

Yeah I was surprised too, I loved the 1.4 TSi I had in my old Golf MK6 (although it had a chocolate cam chain!).

The 1.5T just feels 'fizzy' though rather than accomplished. It almost feels like a Honda 1.8 VTEC engine.

It could be that I'm used to a diesel but the TSi was very diesel like in its power delivery.

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - Ian_SW

Are you sure it's not a 1.0 Ecoboost, which does feel a bit gutless in a Focus? Given that cars don't usually have engine size on the boot lid any more, it's possible that the hire company have got their records wrong.

It's definitely a 1.5T; I checked the VIN plate on the door...
Ford Focus - Dull Drive - scot22

Interested in your experience with Mark 6 Golf. Is the 1.4 TSI Turbo and Supercharged or Turbo and Stratified ? You clearly loved the car would appreciate hearing any observations.

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - skidpan

Interested in your experience with Mark 6 Golf. Is the 1.4 TSI Turbo and Supercharged or Turbo and Stratified ? You clearly loved the car would appreciate hearing any observations.

In the Mk 6 Golf the 1.4 TSI was available in 120 PS Turbo and 160 PS Dual Charged (Turbo and supercharged). All were "stratified" its what the "S" in TSi stands for.

I drove a 1.4 TSi 120 PS in a 2010 Skoda Octavis and whilst it was good (1000 times better than a Toyota Avensis 148 PS petrol) its was nowhere near as good as the current 1.4 TSi in 140 or 150 PS outputs.

I find it difficult to believe that the Ford Focus 1.5T is dull to drive. On paper the specs look very similar to the 1.4 TSi and all reports I have read have been kind. But i have not tried one and we all know journalists can lie after a good bottle of wine and a week in Marbella.

Edited by skidpan on 09/07/2017 at 09:18

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - JEREMYH

It is only a practical car and middle of the road

You should be better buying yourself a jet ski

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - scot22

Thanks skidpan for an informative and helpful reply. I had been confused by the use of 'S'.

Jeremyh I find practical and middle of the road cars appealing and have never fancied a jet ski, but appreciate humour.

I find it difficult to believe that the Ford Focus 1.5T is dull to drive. On paper the specs look very similar to the 1.4 TSi and all reports I have read have been kind. But i have not tried one and we all know journalists can lie after a good bottle of wine and a week in Marbella.

Dull is probably too strongly worded; it just definitely isn't the same kettle of fish that the TSi (was/is) and I'm comparing it to a 122bhp version.

It just doesn't excite me personally and where as the TSi was like driving a limosene with it's power delivery and refinement the 1.5T just doesn't seem to want to 'go'; it's quick once you've got going but there's no urgency and the refinement is lacking, it's like it's been tuned wrong with no torque at the bottom end and having it all at the mid range.

The only way to describe it is it just doesn't put that all important smile on your face when you initially 'boot it' to get more speed and it feels weedy.

It still handles extremely well though. It could be that I'm too used a diesel (although I never noticed this when I went from a 1.9PD in 2012 to the TSi!).

Yes my old TSi was the 122bhp version with the turbo only.

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - Stanb Sevento

Is there a common theme here, I started a thread on gutless EURO6 cars a couple of days earlier. We have had two Fiat Pandas a EURO5 and a EURO6 and while the later one was better in many ways it sufferd from this lack of thrust when pulling away. It felt as if it wanted to bog down and stall so you adjust your driving style to get round it. Some diesels are the same, lacking the initial grunt from idle that you expect from a diesel. Emissions fixed EURO5 VAG cars are the same with low rev torque pushed 300 rpm up the rev range.

Is there an emissions spike at the point of pulling away, or big demand for torque at lower revs that car makers have had to get rid of?

Back in the day when we had carburettors there was a little device called an accellerator pump that put a health squirt of extra fuel into the engine while the pedal was being depressed. If this was not working the car felt like these EURO6 cars

Is there a common theme here, I started a thread on gutless EURO6 cars a couple of days earlier. We have had two Fiat Pandas a EURO5 and a EURO6 and while the later one was better in many ways it sufferd from this lack of thrust when pulling away. It felt as if it wanted to bog down and stall so you adjust your driving style to get round it. Some diesels are the same, lacking the initial grunt from idle that you expect from a diesel. Emissions fixed EURO5 VAG cars are the same with low rev torque pushed 300 rpm up the rev range.

Is there an emissions spike at the point of pulling away, or big demand for torque at lower revs that car makers have had to get rid of?

Back in the day when we had carburettors there was a little device called an accellerator pump that put a health squirt of extra fuel into the engine while the pedal was being depressed. If this was not working the car felt like these EURO6 cars

I'd be interested in seeing a torque curve for these cars as they're definitely lacking in torque where they need it.

Weirdly I drove my dads 14 year old Honda Jazz yesterday and that felt it had more torque from the off than the Focus did...

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - kiss (keep it simple)

Interesting point about poor torque on modern petrol engines. Our 1996 1.4 litre Polo pulls like a train from low revs. It's only rated at 55 hp but around town it's way better than all the 1.4 or 1.6 hire cars I have had except for the 1.4tsi Golf which was a brilliant drive.

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - SLO76
Emissions controls may play a part here but this talk about comparing a well run in older car with a new model reminds me of a drag race I watched once on a motoring program of two Mk II VW Golf GTi's in the early 90's, one new with delivery mileage and the other with 70k plus on the clock but otherwise identical and the well run in car was substantially faster. Engines are always at their best with upwards of 30k under their belts. Another reason I prefer used to new.
Emissions controls may play a part here but this talk about comparing a well run in older car with a new model reminds me of a drag race I watched once on a motoring program of two Mk II VW Golf GTi's in the early 90's, one new with delivery mileage and the other with 70k plus on the clock but otherwise identical and the well run in car was substantially faster. Engines are always at their best with upwards of 30k under their belts. Another reason I prefer used to new.

I didn't think of that! This Focus only had 1300 miles on when I picked it up on Wednesday (it now has 1500...).

My old Golf had 43,000 on it...

Although I do note HJ mentioned the same thing on his review:

"Ford is offering the Focus with a new 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine, producing 150PS or 182PS. It is ideal for those who want a bit more performance, with plenty of grunt for overtaking and motorway driving – though we would expect the 182PS version to produce more than 240Nm of torque. It feels a little lacking in low-down punch for such a powerful engine."

Ford Focus - Dull Drive - badbusdriver

Years ago I worked at a car hire company and we had quite a few Ford ka's. They, being early versions, had about 60bhp (I think the facelifted versions had an extra 10bhp), but they were also very quick off the mark. Also, you'd have to be pretty ham fisted in your driving to stall one!.