Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - FP

My son has just e-mailed me about this car, a model I’m not at all familiar with. He and girlfriend (both clueless about cars) are due to look at a second-hand example very soon.

Apart from the usual stuff like service history, what should they watch out for?
Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - Falkirk Bairn

As a brand & model , the Honda Jazz the story is good.

Unfortunately you are not buying the average car, you are looking at buying the one in front of you.

The unknown is the history of he car -

1) Was it correctly serviced - oil change every 12 months/10K miles?

2) Any accidents of note? Was it driven considerately / raced & rallied or just as bad driven for 4 miles per day in town & never allowed to warm up?

3) Go over the car, inside & out & look for things that are wrong, neglect &/or damage inside & out.

4) Lift bonnet & look at the oil - level & colour. - radiator any gunk showing HGF

Does it look cared for/neglected?

5) Tyres - tread & wear pattern, damage? what is the spare like? jack & lever present.

6) Buying private? is it registered to the chap selling @ the address. How long has he/she had it?

7) MoT - look at MoT history on the VOSA - lots of passes & no advisories is what is wanted. Lots of advisories/fails even on trivial thing like waterbottle/odd light shows careless owner.

8) Service history, repairs & receipts to back it up

9) HPI check for monies owed, is it written off / repaired? Is it the car the reg says it is & not a clone?

The average 9 year old car can hide a lot. A Jazz is a good buy assuming it is not an i-shift auto.

BUT

A 9 year old car the 3 things to look at are

1) Condition

2) Condition

3) Condition

Look @ Autotrader & see what prices are asked by deales for roughly the same miles, same model, same age & take £1,000 off

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - bathtub tom

He and girlfriend (both clueless about cars) are due to look at a second-hand example very soon.Apart from the usual stuff like service history, what should they watch out for?

Take someone along who knows what they're doing and pay them if necessary.

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - madf

Rear wheel bearings fail - they whine.

The EGR valve sticks - misfire at low speeds.

The antifreeze in the coolant must be clean. If dirty or none, walk away

Radiators are starting to corrode.

If they know nothing, they'll get screwed without help...And stuffed. And make a saleman lots of money.

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - SLO76
Ask how many owners it's had and how long the last one had it, any less than 2yrs and they haven't liked it for some reason.

Service history is vital on chain driven cars. If there's no proof of service every year then walk away.

Ask to hear it start from cold. When they arrive, lift the bonnet and feel the top of the engine, if it's warm then they've started it to hide a problem. Could just be a duff battery but could also be more serious. Again walk away.

Tell them to drive it a fair distance to see if they can live with it. The Mk II Jazz is reliable, robust, cheap to run and practical but it's horrible little car to drive. Handling, ride and steering feel are nowhere near the standards set by the Fiesta or Polo. In fact I'd rate a Corsa or Hyundai i20 as more enjoyable to drive. The Yamaha engines 1.25/1.4 Fiesta is a nicer thing to drive and generally better value used plus parts prices are cheaper.
Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - FP

On behalf of my son, many thanks to all those who offered such helpful thoughts.

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - Fishermans Bend

Owners rate them highly so can't be horrible to drive. www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/honda/jazz-2008...0

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - galileo

Owners rate them highly so can't be horrible to drive. www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/honda/jazz-2008...0

The Jazz has always been popular with 'more mature' drivers, never with enthusiasts who like to 'make progress' , which may explain the difference in the opinions of 'owners' and the vastly experienced and respected SLO76.

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - Theophilus

My "more mature" wife (fortunately she doesn't read my posts!) loves her Mark 2 Jazz and we both find it a pleasure to drive :-)

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - badbusdriver

The Jazz has always been popular with 'more mature' drivers, never with enthusiasts who like to 'make progress' , which may explain the difference in the opinions of 'owners' and the vastly experienced and respected SLO76.

What are you galileo?, SLO's publicist?. Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for the help SLO gives to people on this forum (skidpan may disagree) and his knowledge regarding cars reliability. But when it comes to how a car drives, that's arguably as subjective as how a cars looks. It all depends on what you want from your car. Admittedly I have no experience of previous generations of the jazz, (but my aunt is currently on her 4th jazz and she is very pernickety!) but our current (cvt) jazz is an absolute hoot to drive if you take it by the scruff of the neck!. BTW, I'm 45, my wife is 43.

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - SLO76
I'm a big fan of Honda's products as anyone reading my ramblings will know but I think they missed a trick with the Jazz. Yes the typical owner couldn't care less about how it drives (as long as it does) but they could've grabbed sales from a younger audience too (as VW do with the Polo) had they made a bit more effort with driver appeal.

The steering is numb, the handling woolly and ride is restless. Drive a Fiesta or a Polo to compare and you'll see what I mean, the Jazz is just no fun at all and it doesn't take an overly enthusiastic or experienced driver to feel it. They made a good job of the rest of the car so why the half hearted dynamics when we know Honda can do better?

I'm glad to say the latest Mk III is a much nicer thing to steer and ride in but the sole engine option has little low speed pull and needs hammered into the ground to make good progress. The new 1.0 turbo in the Civic might redress this for those looking for a bit more pep.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/07/2017 at 17:28

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - Falkirk Bairn

In other markets there is a 1.5 Jazz, lot s more power & even 4WD.

When Jazzs were built in Swindon they made 1.5 autos for South African market - couldn't they have let a few sell in the UK - RHD after all!

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC Elegance Dec. 2008 - Second-hand car - advice requested - slowdown avenue

if they are clueless about cars then jazz is just fine, reliable ,smooth, good boot. pleasant. but its not the car you could fall in love with. early models had gearbox problems at 100,000 miles