Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - thesoupdragon

I have a 2007 2.2 diesel corolla verso. I have had numerous visits to the gargae, head replaced, now injector issues on and on and now am having issues again. I am faced with getting rid of it or having a second hand engine fitted. Does anyone have any experience of having a second hand engine fitted to this model and if so any recommendations?

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - badbusdriver

How much is the car worth?. Unless you can change the engine yourself, or know someone who could, I'm not sure it would make financial sense. I'm no mechanic, but I'd imagine there would be a huge amount of work involved, i.e, labour charge, on top of the price of the engine.

I think you would probably be better writing it off and getting something else, preferably (at that age) with a petrol engine.

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - bathtub tom

Please don't consider any company around Heathrow airport.

There is, I believe, a reputable group of engine re-conditioners, but don't take my word for it.

Google's your friend and look VERY closely at all revues.

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - thesoupdragon

The car is worth about £1000 as a trade in. I have been offered a recon engine with 3 months warranty for £750 delivered then of course it has to be fitted.

If that got me 2 more years motoring I would be very happy

Edited by thesoupdragon on 28/06/2017 at 10:41

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - SLO76

The car is worth about £1000 as a trade in. I have been offered a recon engine with 3 months warranty for £750 delivered then of course it has to be fitted.

If that got me 2 more years motoring I would be very happy

The used/recon engine trade are notorious for poor standards. It's full of cheats and rogues and I would not recommend this route to you. Instead, (if it still runs) I'd send it auction where it'll sell (someone will always buy an old diesel) then buy a cheap petrol engined motor for whatever you can raise. It will be cheaper and vastly more reliable. If it doesn't run I'd scrap it and use the £750 to buy a cheap petrol runner until you can afford better.
Sadly this was one of the rare occasions where Toyota got it wrong. This engine is well known for trouble and to be frank is best avoided. I'd punt it to auction or trade it in if it's still running and buy something else. Don't spend any more money on it and there's no guarantee that any second hand engine you put in it won't suffer the same issues. If you're on a tight budget forget another diesel and focus on petrol only.
Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - Steveieb
Was this engine fitted to the RAV 4 SLO?
Yes, the bulk of them were 2.0 but you could get this engine in the RAV4, Auris, Avensis and Lexus IS220. It has a poor reputation unlike the 2.0 D4 which although nowhere near as robust as older gen Toyota diesels it is capable enough.

For a breakdown of what can go wrong on them read the good and bad section on the Mk I Auris review. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-2007/?s...d

Edited by SLO76 on 28/06/2017 at 09:31

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - Auristocrat

The 2.2 litre engines were affected in the Auris, Avensis, Rav4 and Corolla Verso/Verso, and the 2.0 litre engines in the Auris and Avensis. Mainly oil consumption or head gasket troubles. Toyota covered the issue on a case-by-case basis for a period of 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurred first, from first registration. Solution was a new 3/4 engine with modified parts as per the production fix.

Depending on the model the production fix was between November 2008 and September 2009.

Corrlla Verso 2.2 D4D - Second Hand Engine - The Gingerous One

I agree, get rid of the car and move on.

Buying a s/h engine will be a minefield in itself, and if you source it and then get a garage to fit it and it's subsequently faulty then you will be paying for the garage labour to take it back out again and you will be responsible for attempting to return it to the supplier (assuming supplier still around).

Also any s/h engine may well have come from a mini-cab, so could have done 300,000 miles+ and be just as problematic in future (the following day or month...).

Walk away, buy something else.

The only time doing this might ever make sense would be if you had a complete car that you could test the engine in first and run it, and you had the time, experience & motivation to perform the engine swap yourself, once satisfied that the replacement engine is a good 'un. And even then you would have to pick carefully (still could be a minicab with 300,000+ miles on the clock).

So get rid and move on, buy something else that's at least petrol. And I do speak from experience here, trust me.

I hope by now you are now looking into the cost-to-change for a suitable replacement...

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by The Gingerous One on 29/06/2017 at 13:38