Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - Pa1975

Hi,

I have a 2007, Peugeot 307 CC, 1.6l petrol, which has developed an intermittent starting problem about 6 months ago. It started happening every 2 months and now happens every ~4-7 days.

When it fails to start, the engine turns over fine, but it doesn't keep going and the engine light comes on. It will consistently fail to start from that point onwards.... until I press the gas a bit while turning the key. Then it fires up fine, and runs without issue and the engine light goes out...for another few days until it happens next! Once it's running, there are no signs of any problems, it runs perfect. The engine sounds good.

The car is used quite a lot, probably 5-10 trips a day. So ~90% of the time it always runs fine.

I've read the ECU, nothing major jumped out aside from a P0106 fault (which may or may not be related). I've double checked that all air pipes are looking good - no sign of any cracks/leaks/etc. The car was last serviced by a Peugeot dealer in October 16.

I'm planning to sell the car at some point this summer and would really like to get this issue fixed before doing so.

Any pointers on what to check/where to look would be greatly appreciated! I'd really like to avoid my local Peugeot dealer, not that I think they'd be much help anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - 3uga

Check throttle actuator and clean it if necesary. get it scanned if problem not fixed

Edited by 3uga on 25/06/2017 at 01:58

Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Open up the cover on the engine bay fuse box.Check all the multi pin connectors attached to it are secure.Also check the connection pins are clean and tight.

Took it out today. Looked pretty clean. I cleaned it anyway. I'll post a photo...

The only fault code is P0106 (MAP)

The fusebox is spotless. Looks like new. I unplugged everything.

The fact that this is intermittent makes it hard to confirm anything. The car is in very good cond for it's age. P0106 (MAP) is the only fault on the ECU. All air pipes, etc. look good.

The only reliable thing I have to go by is when it refuses to start, it will consistently fail, until I press the acceleration pedal while turning the key. Then it's good for the next 20+ starts.

Might be completely chance, but this issue has only every happened on a warm engine. Never happened from a cold start in the morning!

I took a bunch of photos but the 'attach photo' link is disabled :/

(Hope these photo links work & help)

ibb.co/b1fzCk
ibb.co/gaaAJQ
ibb.co/f1imsk
ibb.co/fm3855
ibb.co/myyxyQ

Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - Railroad.

Are you sure the engine can draw air? The fault code P0106 relates to MAP Sensor Range/Performance. With a closed throttle the manifold vacuum will be high. Check to make sure that the throttle body is clean and moves freely, and then re-calibrate it but you may well need the assistance of someone with Peugeot diagnostic equipment to help you with that.

Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - Gibbo_Wirral

Get a Planet diagnostic as that canread live data, not just fault codes.

Google "Peugeot Planet Map" for a map of owners around the UK

Peugeot 307 CC - Peugeot 307 intermittent starting problems - Railroad.

Get a Planet diagnostic as that canread live data, not just fault codes.

Google "Peugeot Planet Map" for a map of owners around the UK

Defo the above. With the engine not running the inlet manifold will be at atmospheric pressure which is around 100KPa (1 bar). When it's idling the pressure should be around 40KPa. If when you crank the engine the MAP sensor shows a lower reading than that then the throttle butterfly valve will be closed too much, and consequently not allowing enough or if any air to pass thus preventing the engine from starting. Use your scantool to do live data checks.