Hyundai Coupe - Strange Electric Failure - CatsCatsCats

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give any insight into this problem:

At about 4 AM on Saturday morning, the alarm (or at least horn sound) of my car wouldn't stop going off. So I tried to unlock it using the fob which didn't work (the light came on the fob though). Next I tried opening it using the locks on the driver's side which also didn't work. The boot would open though and when it did, the alarm stopped. So I was more or less completely locked out.

Next I clambered through the car to the front to put the keys in the ignition. When I turned it to ACC, none of the accessories came on. When I turned it to ON, only the ABS light and Parking Break light came on. When I turned it to ignition, it wouldn't crank at all. Furthermore, I couldn't unlock the car from the inside either. In order to spare my neighbours, I left the boot open a creak to stop the noise, bu forgot about the light in the boot (it was 4am after all...). As a result, when I got out to the car the next day, it appeared the battery had died. Now when I turn the key nothing happens at all and the light in the boot is off so I just assumed as much.

It's probbaly worth mentioning that I drove the car just under 200 miles 2 days before this with no issues at all.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what the problem might be or if anyone has had a similar problem before?

Hyundai Coupe - Strange Electric Failure - SLO76
A knackered battery could cause electrical maladies like this. The fact the car wouldn't crank when you tried suggests it's a likely source. Try a new battery first.
Hyundai Coupe - Strange Electric Failure - madf
A knackered battery could cause electrical maladies like this. The fact the car wouldn't crank when you tried suggests it's a likely source. Try a new battery first.

Get Halfords or any other battery vendor to do a free batatery test.

As above, it sounds knackered - unless you have a charging problem.. Any red lights or slipping auxiliary belt squealing?

Hyundai Coupe - Strange Electric Failure - RichardW

Agreed, battery has toasted itself. I had one go without warning within a couple of hours - drove it in the afternoon fine, went out at 6pm and it was totally dead!

Hyundai Coupe - Strange Electric Failure - CatsCatsCats

Thanks guys - the battery is definitely dead now, so I'll get a new one.