Looking for a MPV - Residesinsurrey

Hello Everyone , I am interested in buying an MPV . I was thinking of buying a Tino as its Japanese , which means reliability and its in my budget which is very low . If anyone has any ideas I will welcome them . Reliability and Fuel economy is very important to me . My budget is £1500 at the most . I look forward to any help I can get from this forum .

Many thanks

Looking for a MPV - badbusdriver

Nissan ammera tino's are pretty reliable cars overall, but your problem, at that budget is finding one that has been looked after reasonably well. There are a huge amount of potential candidates, but, again, what kind of life have they led, have they been serviced regularly?. Look for evidence of this if possible, but again, at that price, the owner may well have serviced it himself. Ideally you need to know something about cars, or know someone who does, that can come with you to view potential cars. To minimise the risks, keep it simple, petrol engine, manual gearbox. If i was in your position i would be thinking about the tino, but there are others you could also look at.

Toyota corolla or yaris verso

Kia carens

Mazda premacy

Mitsubishi space star

The fuel consumption is not going to be brilliant on most of the petrol versions. But you need to be thinking about servicing and repair cost too, which with a diesel, is likely to be more. The yaris verso has a 1.3 petrol, and the space star is available with a 1.3 petrol (as well as 1.6 and 1.8), so if most of your driving is around town, they might be the best options.

Good luck!

Thousand and One thanks for your extremely helpful post !

Looking for a MPV - daveyK_UK

1.8 petrol tino's of this age should have been the lucky ones and had the better quality chain cams.

decent car, lots of space

Many thanks to the contributers of this thread!!!!!!! I am certainly going to take on board all that has been said.

Looking for a MPV - SLO76
The Tino is ok, bit dull to drive and neglected cars are prone to timing chain problems but they are generally well made and certainly cheap so £1,500 is plenty for a very nice example. Buy only with proof of regular servicing, chain driven engines need fresh oil every year. Lots of owners buy them for the Japanese reliability then neglect to maintain them.

Another good bet at this money would be a Toyota Corolla Verso if you can find one. Again some owners do neglect servicing so look for a well maintained car. It's a chain driven engine too so again needs regular servicing but they're not as prone to chain issues as the Tino.

Ford C-Max is another good car and the 1.6 Yamaha designed engine is pretty robust and sweet revving. These are cheap because most buyers at this money favour the more plentiful and better driving Focus.

I'd buy privately at this money to avoid the dodgy backstreet garages and botched up crap they all too often sell. Try to find a car that's been owned longterm, preferably an older owner with no shortage of cash to look after it properly.

Here's a nice example of what I'm talking about this one is an auto but is one owner, has a full history and is parked at a nice address which tells us plenty. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170312320...1

Edited by SLO76 on 12/03/2017 at 18:40

Thank you so much for posting this example its given me clear direction on what to look for .

Many thanks

Looking for a MPV - JEREMYH

I have a Y reg Toyota Privia 2.0 D4d it is such a tough reliable bas . It has 260k on the clock is still going well I have a courier company and went I want comfort with good air con I just take that on a 800 mile round trip instead of a van !

Look at them on ebay they are a little expensive compared to other cars but I promise you well worth the money

Looking for a MPV - RaineMan

Have you asked yourself "Do I need an MPV"? I know a couple who swapped a reasonably roomy hatch for an MPV when they started a family. In my view it offered no advantage and came with higher running costs!

I always wanted to replace my car with an MPV .

I always wanted to replace my car with an MPV .

If you don't need the space then to be honest, at this sort of money you should be focussing on condition, history and mileage over anything else. Don't walk past a nice Corolla, Focus or Astra to get a tatty MPV version of the same car. You don't have the money to be picky here, it would be different if you were spending £10k then buy whatever tickles yer fancy but at sub £2k take care not to fixate on any particular car or type of car. Remember also that the MPV versions of these cars tend not to drive as nicely and will use more fuel so test drive it before buying.

At the moment I have a Toyota Corolla which has been very reliable .I do however have a big family ( family of 5) so when we are all going out our Corolla struggles to hold us . I also start a job where I will be traveling 20miles a day 5 days a week and so also fuel economy wouldnt be great with an mpv but at least we can travel together in comfort of which we do at least 4 times a week .

A large hatch or saloon would offer as much if not more space inside so I'd suggest widening the search so you don't miss out. There are plenty of well looked after Toyota Avensis hatches and estates available for under £2k...

Thanks SLO76 another one on the list .

Many thanks Jeremy I will have a look !