Rust subframe on Punto - fv43576

My daughter’s Fiat Punto mk2, has been pass MOT last month but it need to attention the front sub frame for the next MOT. Because it is very rust but it not make hole when you poke your finger in. I have took it off the frame and put Hammerite Kurust on then rub with wire brush clean it off with my high pressure water jet. 90% of rust is off.

Then it was dry to apply a three coats of red oxide prime to killed and stop the rust being more development in the future.

But should I apply a Hammerite waxoyl underbody seal or just the original black gloss spray?

Rust subframe on Punto - Big John

Black Hammerite hammer finish paint on the outside of the subframe.

OR if you do use Hammerite Underseal - piaint the whole subframe with clean oil first , leave for 24hrs then paint the underseal on top (it does mix and stick!) . This traps oil in any pits supressing future rust. I used this technique on a Morris Minor I restored for someone way back in 1988 and all the areas where i'd used this method were still intact when I saw the same car a couple of years ago - infact it was stil "tacky"

Mixture of oil/waxoyl (or equiv) into any internal sections

Rust subframe on Punto - SLO76
Pay close attention to rust on the wishbones too. I recently flogged a motor to a customer when the near side front wishbone snapped due to excessive corrosion on the 2004 Mk II Punto I told her not to buy. The car was scrap and had rot everywhere underneath despite the body looking ok. How it passed its last Mot is a mystery to me.
Rust subframe on Punto - Big John
Pay close attention to rust on the wishbones too. I recently flogged a motor to a customer when the near side front wishbone snapped due to excessive corrosion on the 2004 Mk II Punto I told her not to buy. The car was scrap and had rot everywhere underneath despite the body looking ok. How it passed its last Mot is a mystery to me.

Indeed,

Punto's are bad a rusting underneath where things have been welded on (from new) - for example suspension mounts

Rust subframe on Punto - fv43576

Thanks for remind me about wishbone that is already been replaced, thanks for advice very helpful

thank you

Fab