Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Simmo1111

When it comes to buying a used car, what are your thoughts on an acceptable mileage figure? I'm looking at Honda CRV's 2.0i V-TEC 4WD models from around 2011 onwards. I'm obviously leaning towards the lowest mileage ones I can find but also am being mindful of previous service history. I have, at this point, decided (aided by advice from a few of your good selves) to probably go to a Honda dealer due to the minefield of 'unknowns' by considering potentially dodgy ones on offer on various websites. Obviously I'll be paying more from a dealer but hopefully it will be worth it for the 'peace of mind' that I'll hopefully be buying a good car. I've seen a few with a full Honda Service History which I guess is as good as it gets but would there be any limits to an acceptable mileage on cars from 6yrs old and less? I'm thinking that the engines should still be sound but the rest of the car i.e wheel bearings\clutch etc will also have done the same distance.

Thanks very much.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - TedCrilly

10-12k miles per year is usually regarded as average. However I wouldn't be put off if the car was 3-4 years old with a higher mileage if it was supported by a service history. Actual invoices, not just stamps in a book that is. As for warranties, stick with a manufacturer approved one. 3rd party warranty agreements are not all the salesmen make them out to be.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - NARU

One of the best cars I ever bought had 54,000 miles at two years old.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - RobJP

I recall seeing a BMW 320d in BCA last year. A 2012 car, it had 290,000 miles (yes, that isn't a mistake, 290k) on the clock, and 23 services in those 4 years.

Ran perfectly, no squeaks, the clutch take-up was perfect, the interior immaculate.

If you're going to buy a car that's a few years old, then buy on condition and history (service history and MOT records). Ignore 'one lady/doctor owner', or any such blurb, it's meaningless.

Very low mileage is as bad as very high mileage, if not worse.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - gordonbennet

There is always a certain amount of luck involved in car purchase, yes you get a bit more cover from a dealer of honour and repute, and you are less likely to get turned over by the usual scammer suspects by going to a dealer.

Its easier to judge a car and its owner by going private buying, but if you keep an open mind it's possible to judge what sort of previous ownership a car had when you inspect it at a dealership to help you avoid buying a polished turd.

Make sure you take something to lie on and don't wear your Sunday best, because the first place you are going to look at is the tyres, the wheels and the visible brakes behind them, and then you're going to slide underneath and see what the car looks like from the really important view that the dealer valeters won't have made shiny.

Tyres, are they a decent set in good condition, preferably same make all round but not essential, but if you want a 4x4 then all 4 tyres want to have similar tread depth for transmission long life, are the sidewalls still readable or has the previous driver worn half the sidewall off against kerbs, ignore the black shiny slop dealers put on to make them look new, get under and look at the treads properly including the inside shoulders (take a depth gauge with you), a set of nearly new good make tyres is a clue to a caring previous owner, however if a brand new set of cheaper tyres is fitted well up to a point you can't blame the previous owner wanting to spend £250 instead of £450 for the next owner's benefit, do make sure they are all the same size.

Wheels, if you are looking at a 50k Civic, the wheels should not have needed refurb, if original finish like the tyres you can tell if the previous owner cared or not by the state of the rim edges, if they've needed refurb look carefully underneath for signs of other damage where mr clumsy habitually drove up kerbs etc, but more worrying is that the wheels needed refurb for salt corrosion, so check really carefully underside for rust damage, cos corroded wheels might point to a car that never got washed properly and ingrained salt does a lot of damage if no one bothers to wash it off, couldn't be bothered to clean the wheels means they certainly didn't wash the underside ever.

I can't overstate this underbody check, i've seen 12 month old fleet cars come off the road in March and sit for 6 or more months with all that winter salt baking itself into the brakes and underbelly nooks and cranies, it will kill cars if left in place.

Discs and Calipers, discs should look decent with no really deep wear ridge at the outer lip, feel them for excessive scoring, check the calipers for deep corrosion, very few people paint their calipers (i do, and i believe madf does also) so the state of the OE finish will tell you how much salt the potential buy has seen, don't be surprised if you find at least one new rear caliper fitted (shinier), Honda don't strip clean and lube brakes on the service schedule so calipers seizing up will be a problem unless the previous owner took steps...if you buy one get a proper mechanic on the case to service the brakes correctly and the hardware will last the life of the vehicle.

Underbody, get under and check all over, exhaust suspension subframes, check how much ingrained muck there is in the wheel arches (most cars it the rears fill up with crud inside the lip), check for obvious underbody damage and sign of leaks.

I do this before i even open the doors or look under the bonnet, because if these parts of the car have been neglected its a fair bet that the previous owners were the type to use the oil light to let them know it needed oil, and if they didn;t care about looking after the most important parts of the car, what hope they bothered getting the unseen underbonnet bits looked after...theory being Japanese innit no need to look after it, these people do exist.

You can hedge your bets of buying a decent motor by getting down and dirty, it shocks the dealer a little when you don your boiler suit get your torch out and slide under on a large sheet of cardboard, i've walked away from cars without even holding the keys or looking inside by the aforementioned checks.

If all looks ok then proceed with the rest of the car buying and good luck.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Andrew-T

One of the best cars I ever bought had 54,000 miles at two years old.

.... or my 1984 Cavalier Estate with 23K after 9 months ....

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - SLO76
They're robust long lived big cars and main dealers don't tend to sit with anything with heavy mileage anyway. The only worry would be the clutch which is a weak point on Honda's, though the diesels are more prone to problems than the petrol models.

Make sure you test drive it from cold, watch for juddering and feel where the biting point is, too high and it may be on its way out. Other than that it's just checking for poor paintwork repairs really. There's very little to worry about with a petrol engined Honda, especially an approved used car from a main dealer.
Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Simmo1111

Thanks very much once more chaps, you've all been very helpful as usual.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Palcouk

I recently purchased a Lexus RX, 2010 with 80K miles, it came with a two year lexes warranty, and a free next year service.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Bromptonaut

I recently purchased a Lexus RX, 2010 with 80K miles, it came with a two year lexes warranty, and a free next year service.

My Roomster, 2011/11, was similar. Just over 70k, two years Skoda warranty. History showed it ti have been a demonstrator and then owned by a resident of a nice rural village just beyond Towcester.

Dealer knew who they were and had taken it in px.

Best part of a grand cheaper than a low milieage example and having taken each of my last 3 cars past 150k I'm not worried about miles as long as servicing is done properly.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Mike H
They're robust long lived big cars and main dealers don't tend to sit with anything with heavy mileage anyway. The only worry would be the clutch which is a weak point on Honda's, though the diesels are more prone to problems than the petrol models. Make sure you test drive it from cold, watch for juddering and feel where the biting point is, too high and it may be on its way out. Other than that it's just checking for poor paintwork repairs really. There's very little to worry about with a petrol engined Honda, especially an approved used car from a main dealer.

Interesting point about Honda clutches. We have a 1.6i-DTEC 120bhp CR-V which we've owned from new. It's 15 months old and now on 39,000km (c.25,000 miles). I've noticed over the last 3-4 months that the clutch judders when the the engine is cold - we have a crossroads about 350 metres from our house at which there is no option but to stop and pull away again, and it's here I notice it. Otherwise it seems to be no problem. Is it something I should get the dealer on to while it's in warranty and still relatively low mileage, or should I forget about it?

Other than that it's a great car, and thoroughly recommendable.

Edited by Mike H on 12/02/2017 at 17:21

"Interesting point about Honda clutches. We have a 1.6i-DTEC 120bhp CR-V which we've owned from new. It's 15 months old and now on 39,000km (c.25,000 miles). I've noticed over the last 3-4 months that the clutch judders when the the engine is cold - we have a crossroads about 350 metres from our house at which there is no option but to stop and pull away again, and it's here I notice it. Otherwise it seems to be no problem. Is it something I should get the dealer on to while it's in warranty and still relatively low mileage, or should I forget about it?

Other than that it's a great car, and thoroughly recommendable."

I have a 1.6 DTEC SE-T too. It started developing a noticeable clutch judder from cold at less than 10,000 miles. First visit to the dealer I was told that it was a "characteristic of the car"
which was nonsense since it would've done it from new if it was but as it was only noticeable for the first few standing starts when cold I decided to leave it to see if it got worse, which it gradually did.

I returned the car to the dealer three further times to be properly assessed from cold but each time it was returned by a confused service receptionist who didn't seem to know why the car was there and of course it clearly hadn't been driven from cold by the service staff as they said that no fault was noticed and on the final time I was told by said barely out of school service receptionist that it was "down to my driving style." Needless to say I hit the roof. By this point the slight judder had developed to the stage where the car was almost undrivable when cold.

To me the fault was clearly down to the input shaft oil seal had failed allowing oil to contaminate the clutch plate. I bypassed our useless dealer and went straight to Honda customer services who quickly arranged for the car to be properly assessed and found the now very obvious fault which they quickly rectified with a new clutch (@25,000 miles funnily enough) but my suggestion that it had been down to oil contamination was still rejected and instead they stated that the judder was caused by a bent fork despite the fact that had this been the case it would've juddered all the time and not just when it was cold.

When the car was returned, valeted and driving as new I was as happy. However I still believe that the initial issue of oil contamination wasn't rectified and I soon noticed a gradual judder returning. It's nowhere near as bad to date but if it's what I think it is then it will only get worse. Shame really because otherwise it's the perfect big family wagon and truly exceptional on fuel for it's size.

During this spat I did a fair bit of research into the subject and although this is the first Honda I've personally owned or sold with such a problem it's quite common on CRV and Civic diesels from what I've read. There's loads of cases of slipping clutches on the Jazz too but that I would say is likely down to the kind of local stop start driving and often very elderly owners they attract.

I'd still buy another CRV and happily recommend them to others but always make sure you drive it from cold. If there's no judder at say 30-40k it's likely you'll never have a problem and the petrol doesn't seem afflicted. It's a fault and not wear in this case. I'd certainly report yours to the dealer and even if they decide it's too minor to take action at least they have a note of when you spotted it.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/02/2017 at 20:23

Thanks for the advice, it's due for a service so I'll get them to take a look. I'll be careful to mention that they need to drive it from cold.

I'd certainly report yours to the dealer and even if they decide it's too minor to take action at least they have a note of when you spotted it.

As a follow up, our CR-V was in the workshop today for servicing at 39762km, which we've covered in 18 months. I pointed out the clutch issue when I booked it in, so they arranged for me to leave it late yesterday evening so that they could check it out while it was cold this morning. They found nothing either by driving, or in the workshop. They did say to let them know if it got worse and they'd take another look. They said that it's guaranteed for 3 years from new (so until October 2018), so if it does get worse any problems should be resolved under warranty.

Edited by Mike H on 09/03/2017 at 11:21

"As a follow up, our CR-V was in the workshop today for servicing at 39762km, which we've covered in 18 months. I pointed out the clutch issue when I booked it in, so they arranged for me to leave it late yesterday evening so that they could check it out while it was cold this morning. They found nothing either by driving, or in the workshop. They did say to let them know if it got worse and they'd take another look. They said that it's guaranteed for 3 years from new (so until October 2018), so if it does get worse any problems should be resolved under warranty."

Same story. Ours went back to the dealer four times and each time they said they couldn't find fault with it. By the final visit the car had degraded so much that it was pretty unpleasant to drive when cold to at least 15mins after starting. Clearly the clutch plate was contaminated. I then called Honda customer services themselves and they arranged to have it reassessed and agreed that the judder was excessive, this was at 25,000 miles and I'd first reported a small judder at its first annual service at 12k.

When they replaced it all was fine for a few months but now at 30k the judder seems to be gradually returning. I still believe there's a leak from the input shaft seal that is contaminating the clutchplate. I've never owned or traded a Honda with clutch issues but from what I'm reading it seems pretty commonplace on diesel Honda's for some reason.
Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Big John

Depends on how many miles you will be doing yourself?

If your future mileage is not too high then a newer car with higher mileage (presuming has a full service history) is better than an older car with low mileage. Many car parts decay with the passage of time

My father bought a very cheap 18month old Volvo with 88k miles! when he retired (I found it for him). He didn't do a huge no of miles per year and he kept ran this car reliably for another 13 years

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - SteveLee

A lot of people talk about Hondas as though they're sainted, the 2nd gen CR/V autoboxes often failed or suffered judder from knackered clutch packs. Accords and troublesome abs (internal corrosion) are not exactly uncommon. The 3rd gen CR/V has such weedy torque capacity to the rear drive it's next to pointless, and will surely be a weak spot if the car is used to tow regularly on low friction surfaces. All cars have their faults.

As for mileage a low mileage car that's just pottered around town will have worse engine wear than one that's been thundering up and down the country.

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Falkirk Bairn

>>the 2nd gen CR/V autoboxes often failed or suffered judder from >>knackered clutch packs.

Honda stepped up & replaced gearboxes that were out of warranty in years 4,5 &6 at no cost to the Accord/CRV owner.

Toyota stood up & replaced 2 ltr engines in Lexus & Avensis when they started to consume oil at great rates - again at no cost to the owner.

Mistakes can be made by anyone - it's what they do to rectify their mistakes that is important!

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - gordonbennet
Mistakes can be made by anyone - it's what they do to rectify their mistakes that is important!

That sentence should feature across the top of HJ site in bold red letters.

"A lot of people talk about Hondas as though they're sainted, the 2nd gen CR/V autoboxes often failed or suffered judder from knackered clutch packs. Accords and troublesome abs (internal corrosion) are not exactly uncommon. The 3rd gen CR/V has such weedy torque capacity to the rear drive it's next to pointless, and will surely be a weak spot if the car is used to tow regularly on low friction surfaces. All cars have their faults."

Every brand has its weaknesses but aside from the occasional juddering clutch and failed steering rack on 01-05 Civics I've rarely had trouble from any Honda I've owned or sold. The engines are outstanding if maintained properly, gearboxes rarely give trouble (01-05 Civic g/box bearings can fail at 120k plus), rust resistance is better than most and electrically they're superb. Overall Honda are one of the best for reliability, thus the reason why there are so many elderly Honda's roaming our roads. Honda are also known for coming good on their mistakes. A new clutch at 25,000 miles without quibble or any attempt to get to contribute despite it being classed as a wear and tear item is one example. Had it been a Ford I would've no doubt been landed with a bill for 50%.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/02/2017 at 10:14

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Avant

SLO - a few posts ago you say that you have clutch judder on your own CR-V. Do you think this is a weakness on Hondas generally, or just those with the 1.6 diesel engine?

Honda CRV - How Much Is Considered To Be 'High Mileage' - Bolt

1.6 diesel clutch on my tourer has a slight judder for the first 1/2 mile or so(depends on weather ie damp) and was reported early last year, but has not got any worse even after 16k.

and is no worse than any other car I have had, though most have been rovers and every one had clutch judder, as I say it is perfect after about 1/2 mile and wont always do it at all...

SLO - a few posts ago you say that you have clutch judder on your own CR-V. Do you think this is a weakness on Hondas generally, or just those with the 1.6 diesel engine?

It's the first Honda I've personally encountered it on however after doing a little digging on the subject I've found a fair number of reports of it on 06-11 Civic 2.2 diesels and MK IV CRV's both 1.6 and 2.2 diesels. Most describe a minor judder that disappears as the car warms up which is how ours started but by 25k it had seriously deteriorated. It's possible the clutch isn't man enough to cope with the torque of the diesels (or the lead boot of the steering committee) either that or the extra vibration is causing minor oil ingress past the input shaft seal allowing contamination of the clutch plate. I explained this to the local dealer when they replaced it but they insist it was a slightly bent fork. I'd expect the judder to have been there all the time had it been a bent fork. The judder vanished after the new clutch was fitted back in October but I've noticed it starting again so it seems there is an underlying issue and Honda were very quick to act on it when they were contacted direct. It is currently very minor and I'm happy to live with it if it doesn't deteriorate further but I suspect my initial diagnosis was correct and this one will go the same way. I accept Honda are relatively new to diesels (their first came out in 2003 if I remember right) so possibly they're still on a learning curve. Thus the reason why I tend to recommend the petrol option though the 1.6 diesel really is a fantastic engine, best diesel I've ever ran by far.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/02/2017 at 20:13