Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - edlithgow

Could probably get some in Taiwan but it'll be a lot easier to find here (they have it in Halfords for example), so I thought I might take some back, as long as there are no gotcha's re compatibility.

My understanding is that this stuff is effectively universal. A bit of Googling suggests there is Imperial and metric pipe but the size difference is so small they are interchangeable.

Car is a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing. Pipes look OK externally but when I rebuilt the wheel cylinders and calipers they were full of rusty sludge. Since there wasn't much local corrosion it seems likely this came from inside the pipes.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - Peter.N.

Ebay is probably the easiest/cheapest place and will probably give you the information you need.

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2...0

Edited by Peter.N. on 02/02/2017 at 10:34

Ebay is probably the easiest/cheapest place and will probably give you the information you need.

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2...0

Thanks. All the stuff on there is 3/16 but described as metric, so I'd think that should be OK. Its about the same price as Halfords but they throw in some connectors, which might be better than re-using.

There's a kit with flare tool, pipe bender and cutter that looks especially good value, but unfortunately I already bought a flare tool in Japan. Opinion seems to be divided as to whether the cutter and bender are essential, but if I can source them separately while here I'll get them.

The pipe is either described as "copper" (though probably an alloy) or Kunifer, which I understand is a copper-nickel alloy especially resistant to work hardening embrittlement, but requiring higher quality flare tools to install. The embrittlement doesn't seem likely to be much of an issue if the pipe is adequately supported.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - Cyd

NO

Most pipes fitted OE during build are plastic coated steel. This is one reason why water content of brake fluid is a bad thing and possibly led to your sludge (though there is steel in th ecylinders and calipers too).

Copper is used in aftermarket for replacement pipe because of it's maleability, allowing professionals and DIYers alike to make their own replacements with relative ease.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - Brit_in_Germany

As the British Army found out in India, nasty things can happen to copper and copper alloys in the monsoon season. I would check what the locals do first.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - John F

As the British Army found out in India, nasty things can happen to copper and copper alloys in the monsoon season. I would check what the locals do first.

Ho ho - nice one! Only if horses wee on them (google 'season cracking')

I think that with a flaring tool with various sizes it wouldn't matter too much what the precise diameter of the copper pipe was.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - bathtub tom

Doesn't copper have a problem with hardness in brake pipes?

Bit like using silicon brake fluid in a road car - It's not the solution to the problem.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - skidpan

Copper brake pipes contain nickle to prevent issues with vibration, the stuff is designed for the job. If it was pure copper it would crack.

Metric and imperial pipes may be close but for a safety item like a brake pipe close is simply not good enough. You need to get the correct size and fit it with the correct unions.

But there may be manufacturers who do pipe/union combinations that are designed to work perfectly but I have always bought the correct size.

Brake failure is not an option.

Silicon brake fluid is not a solution in any car.

Generally, if I can find out what the locals do, I try and do the opposite.

I'd guess brake pipe replacement might be quite rare here since there is no road salt and very few old cars.

Since my brake pipes aren't actually broken, a local would be very unlikely to do anything to them. If they were broken, they would be likely to scrap the car.

Any - Is copper brake pipe universal? - Wackyracer

All the normal cars I've worked on in the last few decades use 3/16" brake pipe. I fitted kunifer on one of mine at least 12 years ago and they still look like new if you wipe the dirt off.

If you do buy some, make sure you have a tool to flare it. Sometimes I've reused the old unions if they are not too bad, a clean on the wire wheel can make them look like new again.

Is there anything like an MOT where you live?

Is there anything like an MOT where you live?

Sort of, but functional test only. No structural inspection, so much more limited than an MOT.

The test fee is less than a British MOT (about 15 quid IIRC) but the inspection probably doesn't cost much to do (emissions, brakes and lights. No bodywork or suspension checks AFAIK) so its probably quite profitable.

For the routine 6-monthly inspection, you have the option of a licensed, privately run test centre. These are quite a lot more...er...relaxed than the govt. centres, probably because they want the repeat business.

For the last-but-one inspection I was having trouble with the carb. The idle was far too high, and I don't think they even pretended to check emissions, but it still passed.

If you need to change the registration, for example, on sale or purchase, you need a govt. inspection. I had to go through that a couple of years ago because I lost the reg. documents, and it was tricky to get an emissions pass. I suspect it wouldn't get one now.