Audi A3 Sportback - Which engine to go for in an Audi A3 Sportback - dangthe

Hello, I am currently searching for a nice used car and I really like the 2004-2008 Audi A3 Sportback. I would prefer to get the 1.9TDI but there arent any listings in my price range, so my question would be, what is the most reliable petrol engine in the A3 given that the 2.0TDI is a no-go?

EDIT: Also, as a second question, how is the backroom compared to a Golf V in terms of space? I read somwhere that the Audi is pretty small in the back

Edited by dangthe on 27/01/2017 at 10:38

Audi A3 Sportback - Which engine to go for in an Audi A3 Sportback - SLO76
While the 1.9 is an excellent longlived engine in general be wary of the last of the line 1.9e varient which has a DPF fitted and is notorious for the filter clogging. It's identified by the low sub 119g/km tax banding. The non-DPF equipped cars are 138g/km and 143g/km depending on spec and age.

This is an old design and never built with emissions control equipment like this in mind and thus doesn't gel well with it. Buy only the earlier model and buy only with a full service history and remember the timing belt interval is a short 5yrs or 75k on these and is likely to be due or overdue on any car you look at so factor it in when negotiating.

If your budget doesn't stretch to a good diesel then the 1.6 8v petrol is fairly robust but sluggish and the belt change interval is the same.

Remember when shopping on a budget keep it simple. Image and prestige brands are irrelevant. Buy on condition, history and mileage first.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/01/2017 at 11:23

Audi A3 Sportback - Which engine to go for in an Audi A3 Sportback - dangthe

Does the same rule regarding the DPF apply to a Golf V? I assume it does.

"Remember when shopping on a budget keep it simple. Image and prestige brands are irrelevant. Buy on condition, history and mileage first."

I specifically look for a low mileage and a full service history, otherwise I disregard the listing

What do you mean exactly by a 'good diesel'?

Audi A3 Sportback - Which engine to go for in an Audi A3 Sportback - daveyjp

The years you are looking at are when the engines were changed. I had a 2.0Tdi 140 (non DPF), followed by a 170 (DPF) - 05 and 07 reg respectively.

This was early days for DPFs and with a DSG gearbox it was a dog to drive once the regen started.

There was some crossover and the 1.9TDi carried on for a few years once the 2.0Tdi was introduced. I saw a 1.9TDi just last week, which was either a 06 or 56, but as you are finding it is rare to find a later one.

Just did a bit of digging and looks like I'm wrong on the A3. The 1.9e does have a DPF but some earlier cars have it too which explains the two different C02 figures. The higher of the two 143g/km should if I'm right signify a DPF as it reduces fuel economy slightly.

The Golf also listed it as an option on the 1.9 MK V and the emissions are 132g/km on cars without it and 137 or 135 depending on model with. The Bluemotion 1.9 had the 1.9e engine with 119g/km.

I'm noticing with the Golf that cars are usually listed on Autotrader with DPF in the description if fitted also. It's not exactly scientific this and I can't rattle of engine numbers of cars to avoid but it does at least give you the chance to be 90% accurate in telling advertised cars apart certainly on Autotrader which lists the co2 figure for you. Only way of confirming is to physically look for it or call your local dealer service dept with the reg no and ask.

The Golf is sadly not built to the same standard as the A3 or the Octavia with regards to rust resistance though, with corrosion common on wheel arches and tailgates even on well maintained cars.

By good diesel I mean one which has been correctly maintained and not scrimped on which is sadly all to common with diesels since they're largely bought with saving money in mind.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/01/2017 at 14:42

Audi A3 Sportback - Which engine to go for in an Audi A3 Sportback - Steveieb
Thanks for this SLO.

But I remember from my Golf MK 6 that the dash symbols showed an exhaust muffler which indicated that the car was fitted with a DPF.
The light went out on start up which indicated all was well.
However my daughters A 3 2.0 Tdi had the light on permanently when the Dpf got blocked at 50000 miles and all the efforts by the Main Dealer to instigate a forced regen failed. she sold the car when she found the cost to fix was about £1500.

So surely the simple way to find out is to look at the dashboard symbols?
"So surely the simple way to find out is to look at the dashboard symbols?"

If you're infront of the car in the metal then yup could do or just physically look for the thing. The idea however is to save the effort of traveling to view one with a DPF fitted to start with as they really are worth avoiding. It ruins an otherwise very pleasant and robust motor.