Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - H E
Hi, have been looking for a new car and think I've settled on a fiesta ecoboost mainly for the cheap running costs and decent power. Planning on buying through the ford direct scheme as the warranty is appealing, but have noticed a lot of the best prices are nowhere near me. Would I be mad to buy the car based on the word of the dealer and have it delivered to me? The cars I have seen are all less than a year old and no more than 2000 miles on the clock, infact some only had a couple of hundred. Also, from what I hear Ford Direct cars are usually in great condition, has anyone bought one of these before?
Cheers!
Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - daveyjp
My mk1 Focus was a Ford Direct car. You will find they are probably ex hire fleets from places like Jersey where they are sent for a holiday season and are then sold on.

No issues with the one I had and I'd happily go through them again.

However as always with Fords check the prices against the brokers.
Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - madf

Boughta Ford Direct car in 2006 with 8k miles. It was faultless.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - craig-pd130

Our situation was slightly different, but I'll describe it as it may help you.

We were looking at nearly-new Vauxhall Corsas. We saw one with the spec and colour we liked on the Vauxhall Network Q website (which is the equivalent of Ford Direct).

We took the details of the car to our local Vauxhall dealer (5 miles away) and they arranged to move the car from its location (Newcastle) to their site so we could inspect it. All we had to do was put up a £100 deposit (fully refundable if we decided the car wasn't right). It was painless, and we bought the car as it was as good as the advert.

Ask your local Ford dealer if they'll do the same.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - catsdad
Ex-hIre wouldn't bother me but I would check is whether Ford Direct include ex-driving school cars? I have bought both knowingly in the past without issue but if ex-driving school the price needs to be right.
In other respects I wouldn't be unduly concerned about buying unseen from Ford. They will be well-prepared and as long as you check for transit damage before you sign for it I don't think you are running a risk.
Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - Auristocrat

Ford Direct includes driving school cars - Ford has a longstanding supply contract with The AA driving school.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - skidpan

When dad replaced his car a few years ago our local small Ford dealer (one site and the owner was the only salesman) was quite happy to get us any car that appeared to fit the bill from his Ford Direct listing with no obligation. He appeared very confident of the quality and his view was that if we did not want it he would simply add it to his stock.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - Gordon17

It's about 12 years ago now, but I used to work for a company that transported and prepared Ford Direct cars.

90% of them were Daily Rental cars. They were prepared to a very high standard, effectively "as new" with the exception of items like tyres which would be worn in line with the mileage.

When cars arrived at the processing centre they were assessed and an estimate was produced to bring them up to Ford Direct standard. Then, depending on demand from the program a decision would be taken as to whether they should be restored to the standard or disposed of in another way (usually a closed dealer auction).

The way this worked was that if they already had lots of Ford Direct standard Fiestas in stock they would only put them through the program if the estimate was very low, but if they needed Fiestas they would raise the threshold. I can't recall the numbers but it might have been something like if they didn't really need them they would only put them through of it could be done for less than £100, but if stock was low they would take cars that could be done for £500.

I think at the time Ford still only offered 1 year warranty on new cars and Ford Direct had the same. Now it's 3 years for brand new and 2 for Ford Direct.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - SLO76
Ford Direct tend to prepare to a high standard and I've yet to find fault with one I've been asked to view. Fiesta is a lovely car to drive and don't seem to be troubled with the coolant loss issues the same engine has in early Focus models. The 3cyl engine has a nice note to it and handling, ride and gearchange are the best in the class by a country mile. I'd still say the Mazda 3 is a better bet for longterm ownership but i wouldn't be put off the Ford as long as you aren't looking to keep it more than 5-6 years.
Thanks for the replies everyone, Ford Direct sounding promising. Regarding the chance that the car could be ex drivng school, would that really make much difference with less than 2000 miles on the clock?
Thanks for the replies everyone, Ford Direct sounding promising. Regarding the chance that the car could be ex drivng school, would that really make much difference with less than 2000 miles on the clock?

You can expect at least 20-30k worth of clutch wear in that short mileage and look for paint repairs that aren't up to scratch, pardon the pun.
Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - Ian_SW

Ford direct, as do most of the other manufacturers equivalent 'approved' nearly new schemes, offer a 30 day exchange promise.

This means that if there is anything wrong with the car, or even if you just don't like it, you can give it back within 30 days and swap it for something else.

We nearly had to make use of this with Seat when my wife got her last car. We found a few minor scratches in very odd places low down on front and rear bumpers (I think it got damaged when being unloaded off the transporter at the dealers). The dealer started dragging their feet over fixing it, but once I reminded them of the 30 day exchange, and said I would use it if required they soon got their act together and repaired the scratches.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - tim10597

We've bought several, all unseen. Ask the dealer whether it is ex rental or ex Ford management car - their system tells them and a good dealer will tell you. My parents have a Ford Direct ex Enterprise rental Focus, it is a great car and was as new when they bought it. One of our cars is an ex Ford management car, the only thing it's needed in the 3 years we've had it is a new battery in the key fob.

If it has a lot of optional extras on it, chances are it is ex management, if it is in fairly standard form it may be ex rental, but given how strict rental companies are nowadays, I don't think that is a problem. My Dad's 11 year old Fiesta was ex rental, it is still going strong!

Thanks again for all the info everyone. Bit confused with how this scheme actually works then, when I browse the ford direct website and view a particular car, it tells me the garage where its located. Yet when I browse that dealers website it doesnt show up on their stock. Are the cars on the ford direct website available to any ford dealer or mainly just the garage that it says has it in stock? If they are available to to any dealer, roughly how long do they take to get them transported?
Cheers!
Possibly the cars go into dealer stock according to Ford Directs website as soon as a particular orders it and not when they've actually taken possession.
Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - tim10597

When you read the description of the car, if the car isn't at the dealers, it says something along the lines of that the car is part of the national stock of Ford Direct. Otherwise, the car will either be at the dealer or on the way to the dealer I think. We've bought a couple from 'national stock', which took about 10-12 days to get to the dealer.

Ford Fiesta - Buy a Ford Direct car without seeing it? - Happy Blue!

I bought a fully loaded S-max in 2010 and after five years sold it with only one repair in that period. Bought it blind and could not have been happier.