HGV decor - hillman

I saw last night an HGV lit up like Blackpool illuminations at the front. One of the striking things was the lighting display behind the driver. This one wasn't as striking as some I've seen, like indian chiefs with feathered headdress. Can any of the BRs tell me whether the display reflects into the eyes of the driver or is the display not visible to the driver because of the slope of the windscreen ?

HGV decor - Theophilus

This stupid fad does nothing for road safety - and simply demonstrates that the lights are brighter than the .... who fit them.

HGV decor - gordonbennet

In 40 years of HGV driving i've yet to drive one with any of these name plates or other rubbish lit up like The Cape launch pad inside the cab, nor would i do so, even putting the normal interior lights in in the dark causes the surrounds to be less visible.

Similarly i've never driven a vehicle festooned in extra front and rear side lights of all colours of the rainbow, nor have i ever needed up to 16 extra spotlights to see where i'm going, even in the days when 70+mph cruising was quite normal, because i never worked for that type of company nor was i going to spend several thousand pounds on trinkets to decorate someone else's vehicle, no i can't work it out either but each to their own.

As we touched on a few weeks ago as far as i'm concerned the only side lights on any lorry should be white to the front and red to the rear, those side marker lights used to be twin lensed white/red only so from the side view you would see the direction of the vehicle in an instant, then someone in a suit got involved, hence amber side markers became the norm, amber lights should only be indicators or other warning lights (such as flashing beacons), then when you see one it means something.

Times move on however, designers (experts, again) get their way, with fashion and 'the look' being all important, people who don't use the road in real world tell us how things will be, hence we've ended up with the present increasingly dangerous light wars front and rear where mine's even bigger and brighter (and camper) than yours, and if you can't actually see a genuine indicator behind all that light clutter, and increasingly you can't...tough...and if you can't see an indicator in the sunshine because its buried inside mirrored plastic lenses so sun glare can make it glitter prettily to please the glitterati, again tough.

The lunatics have been running the asylum for quite a while.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/01/2017 at 21:34

HGV decor - Bilboman

I find it quite ironic that so many large vehicles (and some not so large) are heading towards the nirvana of total in-your-face, neon, halogen and LED visibility while those who really need to be seen at all times, i.e. pedestrians and cyclists, are heading in the completely opposite direction: It's as though invisibility cloaks were outselling bike lights by a factor of a thousand to one. When I was at school I would no more ride home at night without lights than join in a drunken raid on a nuclear power station.

HGV decor - Sofa Spud

The lighting regulations should be applied more strictly. It's not that unusual to see HGV's or boy racer cars showing blue lights to the front. That's but one small step away from showing blue flashing lights to the front.

HGV decor - davecooper

Agree with the blue light issue. This weekend I was convinced there was an emergency vehicle in the distance, gaining on the group of cars I was in. I was mentally preparing to pull over at a suitable place. Once it had latched on a few cars back, I realised that it was an HGV sporting blue lights on the front! Who ever allowed blue lights on the front of non emergency vehicles?

HGV decor - Bilboman

Re:blue lights - We're in the opposite situation in Spain, where a lot of foot-dragging over implementation of an EU directive on "blue lights for all" has led to confusion and chaos as some newer ambulances and fire engines have blue lights fitted in anticipation of a sudden changeover, but the rest have amber. A new light bar can cost up to €2000, apparently, so a wrong choice could dent the local budget. (Decisions, decisions....)
There was one time when a jobsworth local cop in San Sebastian actually pulled over an ambulance on a "shout" and threatened to run him in for a lighting violation. Someone should have sat him down and made him watch "The Liver Run" from start to finish.
Of course, from a distance, a set of flashing ambers may or may not be on a life-saving mission and many are the times I have pulled over for what turned out to be a tow truck or street sweeper! (God knows how they managed to get an Armada together, etc...)

HGV decor - RT

Re:blue lights - We're in the opposite situation in Spain, where a lot of foot-dragging over implementation of an EU directive on "blue lights for all" has led to confusion and chaos as some newer ambulances and fire engines have blue lights fitted in anticipation of a sudden changeover, but the rest have amber. A new light bar can cost up to €2000, apparently, so a wrong choice could dent the local budget. (Decisions, decisions....)
There was one time when a jobsworth local cop in San Sebastian actually pulled over an ambulance on a "shout" and threatened to run him in for a lighting violation. Someone should have sat him down and made him watch "The Liver Run" from start to finish.
Of course, from a distance, a set of flashing ambers may or may not be on a life-saving mission and many are the times I have pulled over for what turned out to be a tow truck or street sweeper! (God knows how they managed to get an Armada together, etc...)

That didn't work properly either! It did give us Fair Isle jumpers though.