What happened to Proton? - KCSRenault
I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to Proton in the UK. My great aunt has had the same proton since 1991, and would now like a car with power steering, however I can't seem to find any new protons, but also no evidence that they no longer sell cars in the UK.

Have they slunk quietly away?

Top Reply

What happened to Proton? - SLO76
Used to sell em in the 90's when they were essentially previous gen Mitsubishis. Well made, long lasting and reliable, they made good straightforward transport.

However, as with many in this world, they got greedy and turned their back on their roots. Cars shot up in price, dealers were discouraged from selling basic models (profit on a Compact 1.3L was less than £150) and midrange models got too close in price to more modern slower depreciating mainstream motors meaning a Focus or an Astra was substantially cheaper to run over all.

Final nail in the coffin for us as a dealer came when no one other than Proton owners would buy them and only because non franchise dealers offered nothing for them as trade ins. We ended up with a yard full of overpriced used Protons no one wanted which took up the space we needed for good used mainstream stock.

The cars needed to drop in price, to return them to their value for money roots. I had this conversation with their UK sales director who was visiting the showroom but he insanely insisted they made almost nothing from each car sold in the U.K. yet I knew their cars were being sold in other markets for dramatically less. He suggested they needed to move upmarket yet when quizzed about new up to date and competitive cars to sell at this new price he could only offer the Persona Coupe!!! We binned them shortly after.

They started hemmouraging dealers, the a*** fell out the used values and product quality fell through the floor when they started building cars solely of their own design. The Renault engined Savvy was a fine example. Looked like a portaloo and was worth less than one after two years on the road.

They eventually withdrew from the UK in 2014 and the rest of the EU I believe citing tough emissions regulations which their then current engine range couldn't meet and promised to return with an exciting new range of models. After two years of hanging on pretty much all the remaining dealers have walked away.

A shame really because they could've been seeing the success Dacia is today with a simple and robust product correctly priced or Kia and Hyundai had they invested big money in product development. The Persona was a far better car than its Kia rival in the 90's.

In fact they made a few good models. Persona 2.0 TDi was a good workhorse that would've made a great taxi but my suggestion of persuing taxi sales was rebuffed with "it'll damage brand image." You couldn't make this up. Their whole U.K. strategy was nonsense.

The Compact GTi with Lotus tuned chassis was great fun to drive too but was never going to be enough to lift the brand.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/01/2017 at 00:37

All Replies

Used to sell em in the 90's when they were essentially previous gen Mitsubishis. Well made, long lasting and reliable, they made good straightforward transport.

However, as with many in this world, they got greedy and turned their back on their roots. Cars shot up in price, dealers were discouraged from selling basic models (profit on a Compact 1.3L was less than £150) and midrange models got too close in price to more modern slower depreciating mainstream motors meaning a Focus or an Astra was substantially cheaper to run over all.

Final nail in the coffin for us as a dealer came when no one other than Proton owners would buy them and only because non franchise dealers offered nothing for them as trade ins. We ended up with a yard full of overpriced used Protons no one wanted which took up the space we needed for good used mainstream stock.

The cars needed to drop in price, to return them to their value for money roots. I had this conversation with their UK sales director who was visiting the showroom but he insanely insisted they made almost nothing from each car sold in the U.K. yet I knew their cars were being sold in other markets for dramatically less. He suggested they needed to move upmarket yet when quizzed about new up to date and competitive cars to sell at this new price he could only offer the Persona Coupe!!! We binned them shortly after.

They started hemmouraging dealers, the a*** fell out the used values and product quality fell through the floor when they started building cars solely of their own design. The Renault engined Savvy was a fine example. Looked like a portaloo and was worth less than one after two years on the road.

They eventually withdrew from the UK in 2014 and the rest of the EU I believe citing tough emissions regulations which their then current engine range couldn't meet and promised to return with an exciting new range of models. After two years of hanging on pretty much all the remaining dealers have walked away.

A shame really because they could've been seeing the success Dacia is today with a simple and robust product correctly priced or Kia and Hyundai had they invested big money in product development. The Persona was a far better car than its Kia rival in the 90's.

In fact they made a few good models. Persona 2.0 TDi was a good workhorse that would've made a great taxi but my suggestion of persuing taxi sales was rebuffed with "it'll damage brand image." You couldn't make this up. Their whole U.K. strategy was nonsense.

The Compact GTi with Lotus tuned chassis was great fun to drive too but was never going to be enough to lift the brand.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/01/2017 at 00:37

What happened to Proton? - Ian D
Protons new car UK sales figures for their last few years were frightening:
2011 446
2012 208
2013 20
2014 11
No wonder so many garages ditched them..,
What happened to Proton? - RT

In 2013, Proton Cars U.K. had attempted to relaunch the brand with four all-new models. However, the relaunch was instead postponed indefinitely in view of more stringent European Union emissions and safety regulations.

They effectively withdrew from Europe end of 2012 - the cars sold in 2013/14 were just old stock disposals.

Edited by RT on 05/01/2017 at 09:10

What happened to Proton? - skidpan

Dad looked at a Proton (cannot remember the name - tall boxy thing - was a Daihatsu in a previous life - used a Toyoto Yaris engine?) about 3 or 4 years ago. Think it was about £8000 new and well equipped. But the NCAP rating was only 2 stars, the 2007 Micra he had at the time was 4 stars.

He ran away, no point in buying a new car with fewer safety features than the old one. You could get a nearly new delivery mileage Note for less money with more kit.

No wonder they stopped selling them. In fact the dealer closed his doors a few weeks later (he had sold Subarus and Isuzus in the past as well - same importer?) and the site is now a car park, probably more profitable.

Dad looked at a Proton (cannot remember the name - tall boxy thing - was a Daihatsu in a previous life - used a Toyoto Yaris engine?) about 3 or 4 years ago. Think it was about £8000 new and well equipped. But the NCAP rating was only 2 stars, the 2007 Micra he had at the time was 4 stars.

He ran away, no point in buying a new car with fewer safety features than the old one. You could get a nearly new delivery mileage Note for less money with more kit.

No wonder they stopped selling them. In fact the dealer closed his doors a few weeks later (he had sold Subarus and Isuzus in the past as well - same importer?) and the site is now a car park, probably more profitable.

You thinking of the Perodua Myvi or Kenari? They used to be a Daihatsu Sirion or Move respectively. A few Proton dealers also sold them but it wasn't the same firm. The Myvi wasn't the worst motor but the Kenari was terrifying on the road.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/01/2017 at 10:49

What happened to Proton? - skidpan

You thinking of the Perodua Myvi or Kenari? They used to be a Daihatsu Sirion or Move respectively. A few Proton dealers also sold them but it wasn't the same firm. The Myvi wasn't the worst motor but the Kenari was terrifying on the road.

Thats the one, the Perodua Myvi. The dealer sold Perodua, Proton, Isuzu and Subaru. Suppose with the low volume for all the brands he could not commit to selling just one.

It began with a "P", got that bit correct.

"Thats the one, the Perodua Myvi. The dealer sold Perodua, Proton, Isuzu and Subaru. Suppose with the low volume for all the brands he could not commit to selling just one.

It began with a "P", got that bit correct."

He did the right thing dodging it, they were worth less than a packet of fags and a mars bar by their third birthday. Least the dealer had Subaru to offer his staff a company motor, the thought of a Perodua company car wouldn't have been too attractive when hunting for staff.
What happened to Proton? - daveyjp
I was in a queue behind a Perodua a few weeks ago. Its so long since I saw one I had to dig deep to remember what the make was as it has no model name on the rear.
What happened to Proton? - bathtub tom

Dad looked at a Proton (cannot remember the name - tall boxy thing - was a Daihatsu in a previous life

Daihatsu Rally 2 and Rally 4 are now much valued as being overlooked in their time.

What happened to Proton? - KCSRenault

Many thanks to SLO76, for the informative message, it is a very good description and seems to be the overall opinion of what happened to Proton. I shame i guess but at the same time alot of these companys can have their boom years and then slowly and quietly float away.

Good cars during the 90s, but then again just rebadged Mitsubishisi, so I guess thats that.

Many thanks to everyone elses reply, including the ones about Perodua, i completely forgot about them! However we never had many running about up here in the Scottish Highlands.

Many thanks to SLO76, for the informative message, it is a very good description and seems to be the overall opinion of what happened to Proton. I shame i guess but at the same time alot of these companys can have their boom years and then slowly and quietly float away.

Good cars during the 90s, but then again just rebadged Mitsubishisi, so I guess thats that.

Many thanks to everyone elses reply, including the ones about Perodua, i completely forgot about them! However we never had many running about up here in the Scottish Highlands.

They've still got a presence here... they own Lotus.
What happened to Proton? - Bilboman

Another in a long line of reworked Japanese-born/inspired right hand drive Commonwealth imports, often used as a backdoor to the UK market to sidestep voluntary levels of Japanese imports, but doomed to be squeezed out of the market on the grounds of price, perceived quality and image by more well-established, competitive mainstream brands. . Remember the Lonsdale and SAO Penza? And of course, the Tata Indicar/CitiRover.

Brits love good budget cars - Hyundai started building Ford Cortina's with Mitsubishi engines, hired BL's Sir George Turnbull who evolved the license-built Cortina to the Stellar which was imported into the UK from '83 - and have continuously moved forward from there - in the process of launching the Genesis luxury brand which is giviong Cadillac executives some sleepless nights.

Tata are ok, JLR's the world's most profitable car group and annual sales increase is impressive.

What happened to Proton? - daveyK_UK
Proton in their home market have finally had the sense to get back in bed with a quality manufacturer and now sell a re-banged old shape Honda Accord

They did have ambition to sell a 7 seater in the UK around 5 years ago, but it never happened.

As an earlier post illuded to, the problem was the import company and their incompetence - there was a market for Proton, but they were not priced and marketed accordingly.

Perodua cars where well made , used extensive Toyota / Daihatsu parts and design and were ahead of their time in terms of fuel economy.

What happened to Proton? - Gordon17

In 1992 I worked for a while for the company that delivered Protons from a centre at Wythall, near Birmingham. At that time they just had the one model which came as a saloon or a hatchback (which they called an Aeroback). The cars were very well made and virtually never needed any attention in the processing centre before going out. Unlike the Ladas and Reliants that were also processed there.

In 1992 I worked for a while for the company that delivered Protons from a centre at Wythall, near Birmingham. At that time they just had the one model which came as a saloon or a hatchback (which they called an Aeroback). The cars were very well made and virtually never needed any attention in the processing centre before going out. Unlike the Ladas and Reliants that were also processed there.

The triple valve or MPI as later versions were know were basically Mitsubishi Lancers with a different badge. Very dated and a bit limited handling wise but they were very well made, reliable and surprisingly comfortable. Final 1500 MPI was also pretty sprightly in a straight line and could surprise many a boy racer in their tarted up Novas.
What happened to Proton? - Fishermans Bend

A neighbour has two, quite clearly likes them. They are owned by a retired couple, so will perhaps keep them until they die.

I seem to remember the sporty one, engineered by Lotus? was quite a good car. Jumbuck good too.

"I seem to remember the sporty one, engineered by Lotus? was quite a good car."

The GTi with Lotus tuned suspension was fun but the best driver of the range for me was the 1.8 twin cam Coupe which looked terrible but drove really well. Not as hard riding as the GTi but was very nimble and used exactly the same engine.
"I seem to remember the sporty one, engineered by Lotus? was quite a good car." The GTi with Lotus tuned suspension was fun but the best driver of the range for me was the 1.8 twin cam Coupe which looked terrible but drove really well. Not as hard riding as the GTi but was very nimble and used exactly the same engine.

Lotus acted as consultants for a lot of mundane models - my 2000 Astra-G had cylinder head by Cosworth, suspension by Lotus.

Most brands have used Cosworth for consultancy but only Ford can badge the cars as such.

"Lotus acted as consultants for a lot of mundane models - my 2000 Astra-G had cylinder head by Cosworth, suspension by Lotus.

Most brands have used Cosworth for consultancy but only Ford can badge the cars as such."

Strangest one I remember was Porsche allowing Seat to plaster 'System Porsche' all over the rear window of the God awful Mk I Ibiza because they'd been paid for engineering work on the underwhelming 1.2/1.5 engines. Apparently they also paid a royalty of 7 German marks to display the name.
What happened to Proton? - Fishermans Bend

Another in a long line of reworked Japanese-born/inspired right hand drive Commonwealth imports, often used as a backdoor to the UK market to sidestep voluntary levels of Japanese imports, but doomed to be squeezed out of the market on the grounds of price, perceived quality and image by more well-established, competitive mainstream brands. . Remember the Lonsdale and SAO Penza? And of course, the Tata Indicar/CitiRover.

Lonsdale was a marque of car sold in the United Kingdom by Mitsubishi Motors between 1982 and 1983. It took its name from the industrial suburb of Lonsdale in Adelaide, South Australia where Mitsubishi Australia had an engine production facility. The only car sold under this brand was the Lonsdale, a badge engineered Mitsubishi Sigma (GJ). It was sold as the Lonsdale YD41 and the Lonsdale YD45.

Although the Sigma was merely an Australian version of the Mitsubishi Galant which was already available in the UK, the company's plan was to circumvent the "gentlemen's agreement", a voluntary import quota which limited Japanese-manufactured imports to 11 per cent of the market. However, the idea proved unsuccessful and most of the cars imported by Lonsdale remained unsold by the time the company ceased trading. Mitsubishi continued to sell the vehicle in the UK for 1984, although rebranded as the Mitsubishi Sigma as it was already known in its local market.

Edited by Fishermans Bend on 11/01/2017 at 13:04

I've never heard of Lonsdale in the UK - Mitsubishi cars were imported under the Colt brand.

What happened to Proton? - Glenn 42

Had a 1500 GLS( like a Mitsubishi Lancer) in the late nineties. It was a very reliable car, a lot cheaper used than its European rivals, and was quite powerful for its size. At the time, the successor model, the Persona, had a huge following as a taxi due to its low price and excellent reliability.

Problem was Proton tried to make out on their own, ditched the link with Mitsubishi, and developed some truly terrible cars that hardly anyone wanted to buy. One local dealer gave up after selling next to no cars for years and sold his old showroom to a SEAT dealer.

What happened to Proton? - mss1tw
A relation has a GEN2, seems like a perfectly acceptable car for the money. Goes well and has climate and leather, handles well too.
What happened to Proton? - badbusdriver

I've never heard of Lonsdale in the UK - Mitsubishi cars were imported under the Colt brand.

I grew up in the Shetland islands, and do remember seing a few Lonsdales, including one belonging to a joiner at a building company i worked for one summer holiday. I seem to remember it having a 2.6l, 4 cyl engine.

What happened to Proton? - protonsparesuk

Hi,

Nice to hear of somebody who still appreciates the old Protons. I have thousands of parts in stock for those early models and would be happy to supply a power steering upgrade kit for your relative's car if she is interested.

The top-of-the range models ad power steering right from the introduction in 1989. The parts can easily be transferred over to any of the lower models. Please get in touch if you are still interested. Thanks

What happened to Proton? - multigad

Hi

I recently bought Proton Impian 1.6 with campro engine (invented by Lotus) with the factory LPG instaltion. If you have on stock parts i will interested. This car suprised me - it is much better then it looks :). Really good car smooth driving, economic, and comfortible and ergonomic for driver. I spend 6 - 8 hours in car 5 days a week, due my work, and after month driving i love this car. Only one weaknes i see - over 90 m/h is to loud.

What happened to Proton? - Glenn 42

Proton were the Dacia of their day and the 1300/1500 sold well because they were priced not much higher than Lada, but with far more modern driving abilities and Mitsubishi engines for reliability. I reckon Proton finished Lada off in the nineties, with many Lada dealers moving over, as cars like the Samara were so bad.

“I reckon Proton finished Lada off in the nineties, with many Lada dealers moving over, as cars like the Samara were so bad.”

People could have value and decent quality instead of having to suffer the ancient designs and terrible build which Lada offered. I had a good thing going with any Lada trade-ins we took. I flogged them to a contact who was shipping them back home to Russia via container ship where there was strong demand for them no matter the condition.