Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - Dazl1212

Hi Guys, long time reader of this website but I dont think Ive posted on here before.

Anyway I'm saving up for a new car, well trying as I seem to keep having to spend money on what I currently have. It is after all a 16 year old car.

My current car is a Skoda Octavia VRS converted to run on LPG.

So I'm looking for something similar, I do roughly 10,000 miles a year and do quite a few short journeys so I would guess this rules out diesels? Although I had a 110bhp Golf diesel and never really ran into any issues with that. Which is a shame as a reasonably powerful diesel would be ideal given the power and ecomomy I get from the car in general driving.

Obviously I am prepared to take a slight hit on performance but I dont really want to be driving around in a Clio, I would quite like a drop in tax from the £270 a year I pay in tax.

I'm hoping to have around £3-3500 pound to spend.

I had looked at the Eco-Boost range from Ford/ I believe Vauxhall do something similar but I havent seen any in my price range, but I fear that maybe out of my price range. There are a few TSI Golfs available which I would be tempted with.

I really like the S40 Volvo to be honest but the majority are diesel same goes for the Saab 9-3 as well. Plus the petrol engines available seem quite poor as far as MPG and Tax goes.

Basically im looking for a drop in road tax, something that isnt worn out as my car seems to be, fairly reliable as my old Golf was and reasonable performace and MPG say under 10 seconds to 60 and around 45mpg.

Any ideas?

Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - Avant

Why not look for a newer Octavia vRS - I'd advise petrol-powered and with manual transmission. I had one diesel vRS followed by two petrol vRSs, and I don't think the road tax on any of them was more than £140.

The 2.0 TSI engine is lovely: lots of torgue, as good as a diesel in this respect, and not far off in economy. A Golf, Octavia or SEAT Leon with the 1.4 TSI petrol engine will be pretty lively too, although I can't remember which engines were on offer at the time when a car which would now cost £3k was made.

Alternatively there will be lots of Ford Focuses around: the 1.6 petrol is perfectly adequate but the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol would be even better: again you'd have to check when these were available and what's around now.

Edit - just had a quick look at the cars for sale on this site (click on the link at the top of the page) - there are some 1.8 Focuses on there.

Edited by Avant on 28/12/2016 at 18:09

Thanks for the reply much appreciated. Truth be told as a car I absolutely love my VRS its just that ive spent thousands on it and it still needs a fair bit of work doing. On top of that I can barely afford to keep taxing and insuring it. I had a quick scan at Autotrader and I the stated MPG on any VRS that I can afford is a lot lower than the 38mpg mine does and if it wasnt for it being on LPG I could not afford that. Although in truth I rarely get over 25mpg at the moment.

Is there an issue with the diesel version? I keep imagining my Golf engine in an Octavia VRS and love the idea.

My petrol vRS would do over 40 mpg on a long run and about 34 in town: LPG is cheaper to buy but I don't think you get the same economy from it (do correct me if I'm wrong, someone!).

If you go for a 1.9 TDI Octavia you should be all right: the DPF didn't come in until about 2009 and there have been very few problems with this engine. The 2.0 TDI wasn't as good until they introduced the common-rail diesel engine (again, about 2009).

I think you could be right WRT economy on LPG. I think I get 35mpg if I were to do a 30 mile motorway trip. Commuting to work which is is either 8 miles on a roads, i get about 21mpg or 15 miles if I use the motorway im looking at about 27.

Its a shame they dont do the 1.9tdi 150bhp in the VRS.

Then again if they do it in a "Sport version" think Vauxhalls SXI or the Audi "S-Line" type thing if not its probably going to be another Golf as I havent heard good things about the diesels in the S40 or Saab.

Thanks for the ideas any other keep em coming :-)

Also is the 2.0pd unreliable or is it just not as nice to drive as the 1.9pd or 2.0cr?

Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - SLO76
I'd avoid diesel at this price point, there's too much to go wrong. Best option for avoiding open wallet surgery would be normally aspirated petrol and mass produced models from mainstream manufacturers with the Honda Civic 1.8 a favourite of mine. Well over 40mpg and plenty of go if you don't mind revs.

The Ford Focus is another good option. I prefer the sweet revving Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol but the older 1.8 has little to fault it and it's a bit stronger performance wise. The PSA 1.6 diesels are notoriously fragile, the Ford 1.8 can do big mileages if cared for but can just as easily go expensively wrong and the 2.0 is rare but pleasant and avoid anything with a DPF fitted at all costs. You won't get a decent ecoboost at this money.

The Astra J is a good solid car but a bit dull to drive and very dependent on engine option for reliability and driver enjoyment. The 1.6 petrol is bulletproof but slow, the Fiat 1.3 & 2.0 diesels are known for a long list of problems and best avoided, the Isuzu 1.7 diesels are noisy but quick and long lived but DPF's will cause bother and the 1.4 petrol turbo sounds good on paper but I've never driven one so can't tell you how it performs. I find the driving position a little odd though.

Wouldn't touch a Mk V Golf, especially an early TSi engine which have a poor reputation. They drive well but rust is a big problem and reliability nowhere near most rivals despite the higher prices.

Volvo S40 is basically a Focus underneath with nicer trim. Drives well but diesels can be trouble as mentioned with the Ford and the 1.6 petrol is a bit gutless. 2.5 T5 is a joy but greedy as hell.

Factoring in your budget and performance and economy requirements I'd be looking at the Civic over the rest but condition, history and mileage are all factors in any car you'll look at so I wouldn't walk by a nice low mileage Focus to buy a tatty Civic with little history. It does most closely match your requirements though.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/12/2016 at 19:33

Thanks for that extremely helpful posy, there needs to be a rep section on here as the posts Ive had in reply have been extremely helpful.

I have always been a big Honda fan, a friend of mine basically will only buy honders due to their reliablity. i was put off by insurance costs when I last looked into them and the engine size. However I have just looked on Autotrader and the 1.8 I-Vtec specs read like a diesels and and they got glowing reviews on here as well. Seems I would get a lot of car for my money with one of those and I do like them

Another friend of mine had an old, think it was a Y reg Focus, 1.6 petrol that died at 238k

I wouldnt touch a diesel with a DPF due to me doing a fair few short journeys. I will have to check out the Focus and Astra Js.

Thanks again

Hi guys,

If I were to stretch my budget a little further to say arounf 4k would the answers change much?

Also Ive heard the Vauxhall 1.7cdti is a cracking little engine and what about the Toyota D4d? Any good?

Thanks

The Isuzu 1.7 diesel is a cracking engine and well able to cover huge mileage but Vauxhall fitted DPF to Astras from 2007 if I'm remembering correctly and with your usage you'll likely encounter issues. The Toyota unit is also very robust but again DPF will be a complication. £4K is still a limited budget in motoring and lands you right in the early stages of DPF fitment where the highest likelihood of problems will exist. I'd still go petrol or possibly a Kia Cee'd which didn't have a DPF till 09/10 I think. The Civic 2.2 diesel didn't have one until the next gen arrived in 2012 and has loads of go and 50mpg plus but you'll only save 8mpg over the 1.8 petrol, you'll get a higher mileage car for your money and be open to far more in the way of costly problems as the car ages than you would with the 1.8.
Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - skidpan
possibly a Kia Cee'd which didn't have a DPF till 09/10 I think.

Correct, the Euro5 Ceed CRDi's started being delivered in September 2010, ours was the first the dealer had. The only complication is the 2.0 litre Ceed CRDi that was sold for the first couple of years of the Ceeds life. Its rare and unpopular. It used an old Sportage engine and was fitted with a DPF and a DMF. Best avoided even if it were cheap.

The Civic 2.2 diesel didn't have one until the next gen arrived in 2012

Got to disagree there. All diesels sold in Europe from 01 Jan 2011 had to comply with Euro5 and in Euro 5 DPF was mandatory. There were no exceptions, any Euro 4 diesel unsold and/or unregistered at the end of December 2010 would have been scrapped, that is why dealers/manufacturers had to pre-register Euro 4 stock.

So if you find a 2012 Civic with no DPF its been taken off.

Edited by skidpan on 04/01/2017 at 17:12

"Got to disagree there. All diesels sold in Europe from 01 Jan 2011 had to comply with Euro5 and in Euro 5 DPF was mandatory. There were no exceptions, any Euro 4 diesel unsold and/or unregistered at the end of December 2010 would have been scrapped, that is why dealers/manufacturers had to pre-register Euro 4 stock."

Honda delisted the diesel 8th gen Civic rather than engineer it to take a DPF as it was nearing the end of production. The Civic was first equipped with a DPF from the beginning of the next generation from early 2012.

If it's a 2.2 CDTi there's no filter if it's the later 2.2 DTEC then there is. Handy to know if looking at used CRV's too.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/01/2017 at 17:29

You were right in your original post:

"So I'm looking for something similar, I do roughly 10,000 miles a year and do quite a few short journeys so I would guess this rules out diesels."

You don't need a diesel, and as SLO76 says above, at this price point the risk isn't worth taking. If you can't find a good Octavia, try something Japanese and petrol-powered; or alternatively a Ford Focus: there are lots around to choose from at all price ranges, and the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol are quite lively.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - veloceman
Something a little different maybe?
How about a Fiat Bravo 150 T-jet sport.
I've ran a couple of these, no problems at all and great fun.
You can get a 2010 with less than 50k for 3-4K
Skoda Octavia vRS - Help me decide which car to get next year. - skidpan

If it's a 2.2 CDTi there's no filter if it's the later 2.2 DTEC then there is

But the simple fact remains. If a diesel car was registered anwhere in the EU after 31 December 2010 it had to comply with Euro 5 and that required diesel cars to be fitted with a DPF. That was the law.

So any 2.2 CDTi's on dealer or Honda stock as of December 2010 would have either been pre-registered (most likely), dismantled for parts or scrapped (unlikely).

We had a similar situation with a C-Max in December 2005. The dealer had a Euro 3 car in stock and since no Euro 3 car could be registered after 31 December 2005 he was desperate to sell or it would mean pre-registering and keeping on site for 3 to 6 months. We got the biggest discount ever, about 30%.

If it's a 2.2 CDTi there's no filter if it's the later 2.2 DTEC then there is

But the simple fact remains. If a diesel car was registered anwhere in the EU after 31 December 2010 it had to comply with Euro 5 and that required diesel cars to be fitted with a DPF. That was the law.

So any 2.2 CDTi's on dealer or Honda stock as of December 2010 would have either been pre-registered (most likely), dismantled for parts or scrapped (unlikely).

We had a similar situation with a C-Max in December 2005. The dealer had a Euro 3 car in stock and since no Euro 3 car could be registered after 31 December 2005 he was desperate to sell or it would mean pre-registering and keeping on site for 3 to 6 months. We got the biggest discount ever, about 30%.

Euro 5 came into force on 1st Jan 2011 however manufacturers were permitted to continue selling cars that were not compliant for up to 12mths afterward. Thus the reason why some CDTi Civics are registered on 11 and 61 plates. 7.2. Where a manufacturer has not placed on the market all vehicles complying with a previous emission standard (Euro 4 or Euro V) by the date from which the new limits (Euro 5 and Euro VI) apply, paragraph B of Annex XII of the framework Directive 2007/46/EC on vehicle type-approval permits Member States to apply “end of series” derogations to enable those vehicles to continue to be registered and to enter into service for up to 12 months from the date of implementation of a new standard. The purpose of this provision is to ease to the management of stock in the transition to new emissions standards.www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/427/pdfs/uksiem_2...f

That sounds like exactly what I want to be honest. Prices seem reasonable too. Only thing that outs me off is the Fiat reputation for reliability but if I can get one with a warranty it would be perfect for me.

That sounds like exactly what I want to be honest. Prices seem reasonable too. Only thing that outs me off is the Fiat reputation for reliability but if I can get one with a warranty it would be perfect for me.

A Fiat Bravo????!!!!!!!!!!!

Not exactly a fiat,pretty so the engine spec, mpg and insurance are pretty much what I wanted in my original post.

They're poorly made, hard to sell on, the ride is overfirm and longterm reliability poor... I wouldn't.

BMW 1 Series petrol anyone?

Broken springs, rattling timing chains failed vanos variable valve system, failed coil packs, brick hard ride with M sport suspension, poor rear legroom, high parts prices etc etc. Not a good choice on a limited budget. Forget prestige brands unless you plan to substantially raise that budget.

A friend reckons I should go for his celica vvti, well looked after. Cheap and on about 80k, insurance is pretty cheap as well.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 06/02/2017 at 22:32

A friend reckons I should go for his celica vvti, well looked after. Cheap and on about 80k, insurance is pretty cheap as well.

Good cars, nice to drive. 1.8 VVT tends to use a bit of oil so keep your eye on the dipstick and top up as required. Age is your issue here, the last of them is now 12 years old and rust and general wear will be issues. Listen for a rattling timing chain, they don't like neglect so buy only if there's proof of annual oil changes and don't pay too much, these are at the bottom of their value curve right now and selling for buttons.

Sounds really promising that and now I know wha look for. Had a drive in a 190 just this past weekend and I loved it. Can live with it being a bit thirsty on oil and petrol, if it gets me too work every day and puts a smile on my face.

Sounds really promising that and now I know wha look for. Had a drive in a 190 just this past weekend and I loved it. Can live with it being a bit thirsty on oil and petrol, if it gets me too work every day and puts a smile on my face.

Not much difference on the road between the 140 and 190 really. The higher power is all up the top end of the rev range and really not much use unless you're caning it or on a track so I wouldn't be too bothered which one you go for. It's all down to condition and history.

It dies sound awesome the vvtl and I do a fair bit on notional speed limits area. They're rare so finding a good one that hasn't been hammered means I likely won't be able to get one.

Hi,

How does the Hyundai do vs the Celica in reliability? Are they worlds apart?

Just thiking with the age difference and price etc.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 16/02/2017 at 10:30

Hyundai Coupe? Not as well made or anything like as nice to drive but cheap as chips and nice to look at, big boot too. Just watch for rot underneath.

I think with my budget reliability comes first and looks but if I can get a newer car on lower milage for the same price its certainly an option.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 16/02/2017 at 13:19