toyota corolla corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto - toyota corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto speed sensor issue - Paul harper

Hi all I'm having an issue clearing a p0500 code on my 2001 toyota corolla. I have changed the speed sensor for a new toyota one checked the wiring from sensor the speedo the speedo works fine by the way checked the wiring from speedo to ecu all fine being an auto the gear change is a bit iffy as well I'm now at a loss of the next place to look any advise would be very welcome

toyota corolla corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto - toyota corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto speed sensor issue - hardway

If you google Toyota p0500 you'll get a number of hits.

Seems a common toyota fault?

But anyway on some of the hits there's a wiring diagram along with a description of function.

So the axiel signal comes from the box then goes through a "combination meter" then on to the ECU.

So looking at these daigrams it would seem an occiloscope would be needed to check the waveform along the circuit and before/after the combination meter.

Which could be the fault.

toyota corolla corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto - toyota corolla 1.6 vvti gs auto speed sensor issue - Paul harper

At last problem solved! It turned out to be the trip computer in the center of the dash managed to get one for a tenner second hand fitted reset the fault bingo job done but the wiring diagram in the repair manual makes no reference to the speed sensor running through the trip computer hope this may help someone else with a similar problem