Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - mass1987

Hi,

I drive a motorway commute most days. Additionally I drive the missus in stop start traffic most days. My current auto 2.7lt jag is not good on mpg for this (although not bad on the motorway for mpg).

I need car that has good motorway mpg as well as town. Many small cars which would be good for town seem to only have 5 gears which would over run at 4,000rpm on the motorway making them less efficient there.

Ideally I want a diesel 1.6ltr 6 speed manual.

My budget is max £4,000 so the car would need to be 8-6 years old obviously.

Currently I'm looking at the 08' fiesta but they only have 5 gears? Does it matter that much though?

Thanks for any advice

Edited by mass1987 on 08/05/2016 at 12:31

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - galileo

Hi,

I drive a motorway commute most days. Additionally I drive the missus in stop start traffic most days. My current auto 2.7lt jag is not good on mpg for this (although not bad on the motorway for mpg).

I need car that has good motorway mpg as well as town. Many small cars which would be good for town seem to only have 5 gears which would over run at 4,000rpm on the motorway making them less efficient there.

Wife had a1.3 Yaris for some years, it does 70 mph at 3100 revs, typical ratio i would have thought, if you run at 4000 rpm you are well over the limit in most 5 gear motors. (But hey, that's your choice - not good if mpg is a concern though)

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - Wukl

I don't think you should get hung-up on six gears as opposed to five. A few small cars I have driven recently are surprisingly low revving on the motorway. I know it's not what your after but I was surprised how relaxed (road noise aside!) a Toyota Aygo was at speed. No acceleration of course, but pretty relaxed. Funny you should mention the Fiesta as I have driven the old-school 1.25 (admittedly a 2015 model) and that was pretty good on the motorway. I wouldn't reject it out of hand for being five speed, I'd recommend you give one a go.

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - diddy1234

Hyundai i20 1.2l would fit the bill. very tall gearing in fith (cant really put it into 5th gear until above 60mph).

I cant remember what rpm it is at 70 or 80mph but also suprisngly refined at motorway speeds too

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - slkfanboy

It seam odd but on the motorway my old 3l jag did the same mpg as an 1.6 focus. So dont expect much in terms of mpg from a small car on the motorway.

Small petrol cars don't really have enough torque for the 6th gear to offer much. Diesels love extra gears thu.

May a diesel is a better option for the motorway and there are many good motorway sloggers that would meet your needs

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - catsdad

My current Civic will take 6th gear in low 30's on the level and at 70 is a tad over 3000 rpm which is a good spot on the VTEC performance so you can still accelerate (cough....where legal).

However when I next change car I'd like a higher top gear for cruising, even if it means changing down for hills. There used to be a mag which quoted rpm in top but I can't now see any tables in my local WH Smith car mag library.

HJ quotes rpm in top gear in many reviews. However does anyone know a central table online for this data?

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - jc2

I'm on my third 1.25 Fiesta and all have been used on French autoroutes-French speed limit higher than UK one and have never found them wanting.You can't just look at number of gears on their own-as already said,rpm in top is needed.

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - 72 dudes

2004-11 Mercedes A Class diesel with CVT gearbox.

True 70 MPH (indicated 73) is 1800 RPM in 7th gear. 52-ish to the gallon.

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - scot22

I love the W169 A class. However, on a test drive, I could not stand the noise of diesel and CVT combined. Also , if, there are problems with auto the repair bills would be horrendous.

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - HandCart

If you're coming from a 2.7 litre Jag, how small is small?

The Vauxhall Astra was available with a 1.3 litre diesel engine which had a 6-speed manual box.
70 mph equates to about 2100 RPM in 6th.

1.3 litres means good economy in urban use, and the 6th gear means still good economy if you typically drive at -ahem- 'somewhat more than' 70 on the motorway.

Performance is better than you'd think - it's 16 valve, and revs merrily round to 5,000 RPM.

It's a Vauxhall, so used prices are relatively low, to the benefit of buyers.
Parts and servicing also relatively cheap. Body and interior build quality is solid.

The engine is chain-cam: Some people will claim it's made from cheese, but it can be fine if it has had frequent oil and filter changes (look for one with excellent service history and check the intervals). I reckon it's more reliable than the (belt cam) 1.9 litre engine. Others prefer the Isuzu-based 1.7 litre, but I don't know if that had the 6 speed box.

If you really want Fiesta-size, the Corsa came with the 1.3 diesel too, though again I'm not certain it had the 6-speed box.

Small car with 6 speed box reccomendations - Cyd

If you're coming from a 2.7 litre Jag, how small is small?

Can't help wondering that myself. Something like an Astra or Fiesta is going to seem woeful compared to a Jag.

I've got a Saab 9-3 Aero with a tune to 270hp/375Nm. It'll do 30-110 through the gears in 10 secs dead. It'd probably leave even that Jag trailing. At 70 on the motorway driven with a light foot, it'll return 42mpg and I can usually touch 30 round town. Despite modified suspension it's supremely comfortable and extremely quiet at all speeds (even Vmax!). A smaller car than the Jag (a mid size in American) with a mix of economy and performance to satisfy. And 4 grand would net you a good facelift one (2008MY on) with change left for a tune! Worth considering?