Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - JadieBee
So I was travelling towards a round about, there was a vehicle coming from the right so I stopped to give way then proceeded to travel over the roundabout. A small white van from the left emerged and cut in front of me, I narrowly avoided an accident. I beeped him, then we carried on down the road. We came to another round about after the driving messing about - break checking me, driving at about 10mph in a 30. He drove onto the roundabout and I could see it was clear in front of him so also drove onto the roundabout. He applied his breaks with no traffic in front, put his van into reverse and crawled back at me. I panicked, checked my mirrors but I had a car directly behind me so couldn't get out of his way as such. I held my Horn for the whole duration he was coming back at me which was only a few seconds. He bumped me, took his van out of reverse crawled forward slightly then put his vehicle into reverse again, bumped me again and drove off! I immediately got out of my car he drove off. I have witnesses, pictures of him driving off from separate witnesses and the best bit? It's all on dash cam from two cars behind. 999 called on scene - I'm 24 (female) had 3 kids under 5 In the car with me I was in bits! 999 states an officer would be right with me. After an hour 101 called back to say police were not attending and it was a civil matter? I called 101 the next day and the supervisor said the control room were wrong in how they handled my case and they would investigate as a public order offence! Woo! Got all my witness details, had the dash cam footage sent to me, just needed to wait 5 days for the investigations team to contact me. 5 days later I get a letter in the post 'your incident doesn't meet certain criteria - unless significant evidence is brought to light there will be no police involvement' Erm.. They haven't even seen my evidence? I have the reg, video of him doing it then leaving the scene and separate pictures from separate witnesses. I have logged the incident with my insurance company as I'm well aware I am required to do so. My excess
Is £850 - the damage isn't enough to write my car off, but is noticeable. My long awaited question is, what do I do? I'm a single mum of two, I don't have the money to pay the excess for insurance companies to be involved. My premium has gone up £53 just for logging
The accident? I have emailed Local MP with no reply & crime commissioner. Don't suppose there's any free companies out there that could help me get an outcome? My 5 year old is extremely nervous on car journeys now. I just feel a bit alone and like this man has got away with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Dwight Van Driver

If what you say is true and have abundant evidence to support what you say then how this matter has been dealt with is appauling.

I would consider a visit to the police station and DEMAND to see a supervisory officer of the rank of Inspector or above.

Demand that action be taken.

If stone walled then here is where you go:

www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

Cruella May has a lot to answer for.

dvd

Thank you. After some searching I've found a station that actually has a desk open to the public (Many have been closed in this area and only have neighbourhood teams functioning from them). If I could post the video I would, everyone I've shown it to have been in complete shock purely because it does show everything I've said, even down to his dangerously close encounter with me on the previous roundabout! Thank god for dash cams otherwise I don't think I would have believed it happened myself and I was in the drivers seat. I will definitely use the link you've provided and thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I just feel very much alone with the whole situation and I keep getting different answers from different people. I also feel like 101 fobbed me off with it being 'investigated' surely they would know what criteria to put forward for an investigation? Even the MP has completely blanked me, after stating he takes 'local issues very seriously'.

With the IPCC complaints, it says about police officers - which one am I complaining about? The 999 operator who said someone would attend and they didn't, 101 who I forgot to say we phoned after 40 minutes and was told to wait another hour, then was phoned back 20 minutes later to say they weren't attending. The 101 operator who said my case would be investigated when it wasn't. Or the investigations team officer who decided no further action without seeing the evidence?

Or shall I just type out the whole incident and say it's the way the whole situation was handled? After the incident I did post on a local parents site where a neighbourhood officer saw the post. He went into the office and got my case up and phoned me directly to apologise and said the only reason no one attended was because he 'assumed' they were very busy.. He had finished his shift a hour before and said if he was there he would have definitely attended. I accepted his apology and stated I was happy at the time because I was told it would be investigated.

Basically when I have no idea what I should expect from a situation. When the police say 'we can't investigate'. I tend to take their word for it and leave it as it is. But I just feel like I shouldn't with this one!
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - gordonbennet

The police have reached a new low i'm afraid.

Middle of the week a friend heard the crash outside and saw the car involved, very distinctive in colour and model, reversing away from his sons car (which will be a write off) and speeding away, he dashed out and tried to give chase, of course the car gone but he lives in a very large village and using his local knowledge (which the police no longer appear to have) went to where he suspected it might be found and sure enough after about a dozen different small enclaves found the car, with its front smashed in, had been driven tight up to a garage and some bins put round it.

He took some photos, bloke comes out and starts spluttering he went home to get his insurance documents etc, some choice words exchanged.

Friend phones police, they ask if the other bloke had been drinking???, presumably because my friend isn't a walking breathalyser the police flatly refused to attend and gave him an incident number....when did leaving the scene of an accident become law?

It's all downhill from here, Northants by the way, criminals low life's and ne'er do wells appear to prosper here.

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - scot22

How dreadful that you should have been subject to this. I was in a similar situation as a passenger in a car. It is very stressful.

DVD is very knowledgeable and gives excellent advice far better than I can. I am sure that you will have the support of the entire forum so keep posting if you want views and encouragement.

It is shocking, both on account of the maniac driver (still on the road) and the unacceptable police response. Is it worth contacting the constituency office of your M.P. to express your disappointment with lack of help ?

Do make sure ( I expect you already have ) you let your children's teachers know about the situation. Hopefully they will get over the incident quickly but if schools are warned then they are aware of something that MAY affect behaviour.

I am, and always have been, supportive of our police force. However, where there are cases like this they should be taken to task. Very best wishes.

Edited by scot22 on 01/05/2016 at 10:07

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - FP

I'm never sure if this is a good idea, but in the past posting a video to YouTube showing blatant law-breaking has sometimes embarrassed the authorities into doing something, particularly if the video goes viral.

I am stunned at how many stories of similar events that I'm hearing. One gentleman had an outcome of the offending driver getting points, fines. Others cases are still unresolved years later? I honestly don't know how people get away with it! I must of had a different upbringing to some, because I certainly wouldn't behave the way he did. In my particular area there's a few hot spots - mainly certain roundabouts where people think they own the road. I'm very wary and adjust my speed accordingly and my reactions have saved me from many near misses. I wasn't expecting this!

I have informed my sons teachers. He's 5 and such a kind sensitive soul. He also suffers with night terrors. We found his sleep very disturbed following the incident. A few days after I was approaching a round about. Saw a vehicle approach from the right so stopped to give way as with no indicators assumed he was going straight over. He went left.. And didn't indicate! So I said 'Oh brilliant, don't use your indicators mate!' My 5 year old said ' mummy, you said that because he was going to crash into you wasn't he'. It was hard to explain but he's not obsessing over it anymore as its been about two weeks since it happened!

I have contacted the IPCC and on advice from a parents site which I did post the video on. Somebody did get In touch and said I should send the video and evidence to his insurance company. Because as per T&C's he also must notify them. I also included my email address should their policy holder wish to get into contact to rectify the situation. There is damage where his bumper made contact with mine, his back bumper sort of went up mine if that makes sense? So there's a small dent, a hefty chip from the first contact them a scrape where he made contact the second time!

I get people can be having a bad day, but this is outrageous. I just want him to be aware he can't do this. My premium has already gone up by £53 just for logging the incident not claiming. As per my T&C's all excess must be paid up front before they 'Deal/Settle' a claim.. Which has obviously put me off claiming for the damage. Plus I've got a young drivers excess of £200 on top of my compulsory!

I guess I just needed to be reassured that I wasn't going mental. He was wrong in what he did!
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Dwight Van Driver

Be aware the original recording of the incident is the BEST evidence and should be protected and securely kept by you - in case.

If possible send a copy and indicate copy -original kept by you

dvd

I have kept that for my self. I have only used a scaled down version to show selected people as it shows the owner of the dash cams face throughout some of it so to protect him I have the scaled down version. Went to Aldershot police station today. Came out crying my eyes out. Was told that because I didn't talk to the driver the police cannot determine his state of mind at the time of the incident therefore it would be thrown out of court! They guy who I spoke to on the phone (The desk called the investigations team for an answer) Was so rude, couldn't understand why I wouldn't pay the £850 excess through my insurance and basically said I was wasting police time because it's a minor damage incident - which he felt was worth me reporting to 101 with no outcome. But if I had bothered to check the website I would of known the way minor damage incidents are dealt with.

I've emailed my local MP the same email 4 times since it happened. His insurance. The IPCC. My local crime commissioner and now onto the PSD.. After that I have no idea what I can do.
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Avant

It's quite ridiculous that the post of IPCC is politicised, but unfortunately it is. There are elections today, so find out who has been elected tomorrow and write to him / her personally.

The alleged rudeness of the police officer is indefensible. Also, although they are right to say that minor damage isn't a police matter, that refers to accidental damage, whereas I think you're alleging criminal damage done deliberately.

Edited by Avant on 05/05/2016 at 01:34

My heart is saddened reading posts like this as it seems I wasted 30 years.

When I was on Traffic (22 of the 30, various ranks) EVERY accident had to be investigated and reported. This was to assist Joe Public if found to be in the right we were a tool to find out what had happened through conducting an investigation . Where fault was found then breaches of the Highway Code were prosecuted in the local Courts for due care etc. Sadly in the name of progress all now gone and centralised

Came the enlightment in the 90's and reduction in traffic manpower etc then it was decreed that non injury accident investigations went by the board this not only freeing up manpower to other duties but also reduction in court costs as less offenders prosecuted. In fact we had local weekly village Courts and you could guarantee there would be four or five due cares listed and errant drivers punished. A conviction of course helped Joe Public with later litigation. Now it seems unless you have an arm or leg taken off then no action/investigation. Progress???? Money saved????

So what further action can our badly done to poster do? Surely looking at the definition of careless driving the reverser was not the actions of a prudent driver and from what said a deliberate repeated action which must border on the crime of criminal damage .

In her position hopefully she has involved MP and IPCC whose wheels will seem to be limited by a 5 mph speed camera. So in her shoes I would now also consider lodging a full written complaint to the Chief Constable of the area involved. (Would be interested to know Force involved). It may seem IPCC may already have taken this on board but if things are to be stirred up then a big stick does no harm.

Lastly although I am no expert on civil law I would also consider taking legal advice on the possibilties of a private action through a small claims court. CAB office may help. Problem will be identification of the culprit. Police have the power to demand name and address of errant driver unfortunately Joe Public does not.

RT no comment????????

dvd

Avant, the footage I have shows exactly this - Driver drives onto roundabout. I can see from coming down the hill that there is no traffic in front. I proceed onto roundabout. Offender stops on roundabout. Puts vehicle into reverse, makes contact with my vehicle. Offender crawls forward. Puts vehicle into reverse again, makes contact with my vehicle again. Drives off. I have emailed the crime commissioner and have been told;

'We are sincerely sorry to note it's contents but respectfully advise that The Police and Crime Commissioner does not have responsibility for operational policing matters, this rests with the Chief Constable. As the points you have raised relate to operational policing I have today passed your message onto the Constabulary for their attention and action.

I can assume sent back to Hampshire Constabulary who turned me away in the first place?

I don't feel this was an accident. I refer to it as an Incident. I understand the Minor Damage aspect. However, this was intentional. I have video evidence to prove it but police have refused to view it.
Refused to talk to my witnesses.

I am looking into small claims proceedings, I can request drivers details from the DVLA for a small fee. I am speaking to a local officer at the moment whom is just as surprised as I am by the whole thing. Suppose I need to get some quotes for the damages - one of which has no price and that's getting my child to have a panic free car journey. Then go from there.. Judge rinder has never been so appealing (I Joke!)

Just feel like time is getting away from me and the more days that pass the less chance I have of a resolution.
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Soichiro
This is who you need to contact.

www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/news-and-appeals/...y
Thank you! I have just written another lengthy email. Although starting to think I should just start copying and pasting!

I've also been advised of a credit management company? One of tthose who claim off his insurance without using mine? I've contacted one that I'm happy with, just asking about maximum times frames. As it's been around 3 weeks since the incident. Am I on the right track or would anyone recommend avoiding them? It seems pretty good. No costs, replacement vehicle whilst mines being repaired ect. Just not sure if it's a lot of hassle for a scratch? It's the principle of it more for me. I have to show him one way or another he hasn't gotten away with it.

Still waiting on replies from MP, IPCC, PSD and now the chief constable...
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - galileo
Thank you! I have just written another lengthy email. Although starting to think I should just start copying and pasting! I've also been advised of a credit management company? One of tthose who claim off his insurance without using mine? I've contacted one that I'm happy with, just asking about maximum times frames. As it's been around 3 weeks since the incident. Am I on the right track or would anyone recommend avoiding them? It seems pretty good. No costs, replacement vehicle whilst mines being repaired ect. Just not sure if it's a lot of hassle for a scratch? It's the principle of it more for me. I have to show him one way or another he hasn't gotten away with it. Still waiting on replies from MP, IPCC, PSD and now the chief constable...

If they fail to screw the costs out of the other party's insurer, the usual result is they will present you with a bill for hundreds (or thousands of pounds) for the hire of the replacement vehicle.

Many instances of this happening, claims management outfits are like bookmakers, all outcomes covered for their advantage.

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - SlidingPillar
Thank you! I have just written another lengthy email.

Bit late to say it, but do not write a lengthy letter/email. Say what is needed in as few words as possible and make the who thing very easy to read.

Very few issues require more than one side of A4.

Ok, maybe lengthy was an exaggeration. I have included people I have spoken to and the different responses I've had. They have been no longer than about the size of my iPhone screen. I haven't had to scroll through pages. But I have been sure to include all relevant details and names of people I have spoken too. I have also included direct quotes so nothing is lost in translation.

And in respect to the company it does say they look at all aspects of the case and evidence before they agree to take it on. I've just never dealt with anything like that before. Im not entirely sure whether I should take that route. Just feels like a last resort.

I have had some progress though. Chief Insp Hughes of the Northern local Roads policing Unit has been passed one of my emails and is very eager to talk to me. I missed his call yesterday as my daughter was playing Bubble Guppies on my phone and decided the interruption of my call screen wasn't acceptable and hung up on him! He left a voicemail and seemed very approachable and even gave me his work number to text with a time on Monday which I can talk to him. Fingers crossed!
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Soichiro
Forget about the management company. That could be a very expensive path to go down.
Speak to the police as they have now made contact. They will ensure you get the idiot's
insurance details after they look into it. If he doesn't have insurance they will deal with
that also. If he does have insurance they are going to love your video. You don't need a management company once you have his insurance details, you can approach them direct.
Thank you for your reply.

The police (Or rather chief inspector) is coming to my house to view the evidence tomorrow. He said he should be able to assess on the spot whether or not they will take any action.

As for his insurance I did ask for it and they said due to data protections they wouldn't give it to me. I did a check through a site and it came back as Liverpool Victoria. I have contacted them but as yet no reply.

Do I get a quote for damage then call his insurance and say I want to recover the costs?
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - bathtub tom
As for his insurance I did ask for it and they said due to data protections they wouldn't give it to me. I did a check through a site and it came back as Liverpool Victoria.

That would be a useful site to add to my bookmarks. Are you prepared to share it?

m.askmid.com/mt/www.askmid.com/mobile/

That's the one I used.

So Jadie Bee what was the outcome of your meeting with C/I Hughes?????

dvd

So Jadie Bee what was the outcome of your meeting with C/I Hughes?????

dvd

Well, he was such a lovely polite man. He was really straight with me, but nice about it? They have sent out a NIP. He didn't promise a court outcome but said at the very least the offending driver needs talking too. I am currently personally making contact with his insurance company to claim for the damages. They did say my e-mail was the first notice they had received in regard to the incident and would be enquiring with the policy holder before getting back to me. I have had nothing but sincere apologies regarding the way the police have dealt with it and it was passed on for Local Resolution. Thanks for asking (:
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Engineer Andy

This sort of alledged incident (Police behaviour, or lack thereof) has, in my view, nothing to do with who is the Home Secretary or government policy more generally - its more to do with the poor attitudes more generally within the Police forces in the UK, which are now more in line with people working more generally in the Public Sector, whereby the consumers of said service (the taxpaying public) are of a secondary concern to that of the workers themselves, rather than the other way around where they serve the needs of the public.

A local police officer I know is so reluctant to get involved in any issue that I have no idea why he does what he does for a living. Its almost as if he is completely risk-averse and would prefer to sit in the squad room drinking tea and chatting with his colleagues. Similarly in his life away from the force. Politicians have very little say in how Police Forces are run on a day-to-day basis (even the 'PCCs'), a bit like Civil Servants really running government departments and not their so-called 'political masters', all for their own self-interest and of their friends to keep them in a job without real responsibilities and accountability to the public at large, only acting when its PC (pardon the pun) or once a story has reached the media.

This tale comes as no surprise to me.

This sort of alledged incident (Police behaviour, or lack thereof) has, in my view, nothing to do with who is the Home Secretary or government policy more generally - its more to do with the poor attitudes more generally within the Police forces in the UK, which are now more in line with people working more generally in the Public Sector, whereby the consumers of said service (the taxpaying public) are of a secondary concern to that of the workers themselves, rather than the other way around where they serve the needs of the public.

A local police officer I know is so reluctant to get involved in any issue that I have no idea why he does what he does for a living. Its almost as if he is completely risk-averse and would prefer to sit in the squad room drinking tea and chatting with his colleagues. Similarly in his life away from the force. Politicians have very little say in how Police Forces are run on a day-to-day basis (even the 'PCCs'), a bit like Civil Servants really running government departments and not their so-called 'political masters', all for their own self-interest and of their friends to keep them in a job without real responsibilities and accountability to the public at large, only acting when its PC (pardon the pun) or once a story has reached the media.

This tale comes as no surprise to me.

I have been told that certain officers can see the road traffic side of the job very 'Dry' and a lot of them never actually deal or have dealt with road traffic offenders before purely because of their nature. I have had contact with somebody who desperately wanted to help, but due to their position couldn't. They were extremely frustrated with the situation I was left in. I did get to the point where I threatened going to the media.
Hi Everyone! Sorry to re open this thread, but I have an update and another question!

So, Other driver failed to comply with the NIP. It is now in the hands of the CPS to prosecute for non compliance. However my incident is now non existent because they cannot prove he was driving. He cannot be seen on the footage and even though we all know full well it was him, police can't prove it. So I have to hope the CPS go ahead with failure to comply but even then they can decide not to.

My insurance company have assured I will get my excess back and have also assured me after having seen the evidence his insurance company will have to accept liability. Still not in a position to do this so have gone down the route of claiming as a third party from his insurance, which brings me to my next question...

How on earth do I go about this? I have sent multiple emails to his insurance company on a weekly basis since May. Every response I get from them is 'We are still chasing our client for his version of events, when we have this information we will contact you'... 2 months, of chasing their client?! How long can this go on for? I have asked for them to advise me on their policy for these types of claims. What procedures they have to follow and if there is a time frame their client has.

They asked for my vehicle details, another copy of the dash cam footage and my evidence to prove it was his vehicle involved. All of which I provided the day they asked for it.

I have tried trusty Google and all I'm getting is credit managements companies..

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - concrete

Sorry to read this catalogue of woe JadieBee. Unfortunately we now have a world where every toerag is protected by 'human rights'. All they need do is stick their head in the sand until it all goes away. Usually it does, because normal people eventually give up and move on, having a life to lead. It seems that 'officialdom' is reluctant to pursue anything which is not cut and dried for fear of transgressing 'human rights'. I wish it were that no-one could claim any rights until they have fulfilled their responsibilities, but sadly that day is far off until they make me president with ultimate power. My best advice is to stick at it and pursue every avenue to nail this toerag. That is the only way, you have to push and push. You have come this far, which is a long way, so stick at it. If you can identify this individual and get his address then you can easily start a prosecution in the Small Claims Court. It is relatively easy to do, although you have to pay some money to start proceedings, which you get back when you win. The evidence you have should be enough for this court where a judge will revue the evidence and make judgement on what he sees and what other evidence is given verbally. If you go this route, ensure the individual you are sueing has assets so he can pay you or the bailiffs can remove. Best of luck. Cheers Concrete

It would indeed be galling if the toerag escaped justice and I second Concrete's advice.

It is worth remembering that the "burden of proof" in a small claims court is set much lower than in many other types of court and typically is "preponderance of the evidence", which essentially means that the judge needs to believe that it's more likely than not that your evidence is true.

Edited by FP on 04/07/2016 at 19:27

Thank you both, so much for your replies!

I did a bit of digging and eventually found their Facebook page. I left a post, which had a reply in minutes. Within an hour of posting my frustrations I received a call from customer relations basically saying they felt their client had more than enough time to give his side of the story. That the months I've been waiting have been more than what is required to wait for a version of events and they were happy to accept my account of what happened.

Woo!! Don't think me and the other driver are equally matched on the score board just yet, but my first result none the less! Vehicle booked in for repair at the end of the month, courtesy car and all!

Can't thank you all enough. Honestly without being able to come on here and have just that little bit of re assurance that I'm doing the right thing, I don't think I would of made it this far!

You're all gems, thank you!
Just to add, it made me chuckle.

Just had LV complaints on the phone. Just wanted to run through a few things with me.

Sequence of events are this;

I report the incident.
LV contact driver stating I have submitted details on an incident. Driver pleads ignorance stating wasn't him or his vehicle.
LV contact me again, confirming my make and model of vehicle and asking for evidence again.
LV review evidence, contact driver stating I have Video, Picture and Witness evidence. Driver makes an allegation against me for fabricating evidence.
LV pass my evidence onto fraud team. They conclude my evidence is genuine.
LV contact other driver to inform that my evidence is genuine. Other driver refuses to comment and ceases contact.
LV send my case to an assessment team, who were in the middle of assessing when I went on my little Facebook rant and go in my favour!

The absolute cheek of it! Apparently I fabricated video evidence of him! The lengths some people go to is absolutely beyond me!

This is looking good - but you're not quite home and dry yet. Best wishes for a smooth ending.

Better news indeed. Keep at it girl. Don't let up the pressure. Insist on regular progress reports. If you become a thorn in their side they are likely to act swiflt to remove it! As Corporal Jones famously said ' they don't like it up 'em'. Not far to go now. Keep the forum informed of progree too if you can.

Cheers Concrete

It makes contributing to forums worthwhile when people are able to give support in cases like this. You have been an exemplary OP and keeping the forum informed is appreciated. Perhaps you will post when others may be facing problems and give the benefit of your experience.

I second previous posts.

Hi everyone! Again, sorry to open up an old thread. Just thought I'd let you all know the final outcome of this!

Driver was prosecuted under section 172 of the road traffic act, because he refused to identify the driver of the vehicle that was involved in the incident. As a result he was hit with £120 fine, £85 court costs, £30 surcharge and 6 points on his license ?? !!

My car has been repaired by his insurance as full liability was accepted!

I also have seen this driver numerous times, as he is local to me and even parked next to my car at one point ?? . Managed to keep my cool and pretend his registration wasn't burned into my memory for life! Will now smile when I see him knowing that he got what he deserved!

Also, again, thank you all very much for your kind words and keeping me determined with this one!

Happy Girlie once again ??????
Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - RT

Great result - thanks for the update.

Thanks for bringing things up to date, sounds like you have put this to bed so to speak, the insurance renewal cost for him should with any luck make the fines dished out seem miserly, good.

In other news, Northants Police Service still setting world beating standards, sons garage broken into about three months ago and his rather juicy motorcycle stolen, police unable to attend and never did manage to get there, but they did manage to issue a crime number.

ye gods

Well done girl, I am so proud that you stuck at it. This toerag will now think more than twice before transgressing the law again. Although the law can take precious little credit for the way they went about it, at least it turned in your favour eventually. Just a pity you didn't have a slight case of 'whiplash' to rub salt into the wound. Many would have. Great result. Good luck.

Concrete

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - skidpan

In other news, Northants Police Service still setting world beating standards

Back in the 70's a school "friend" of mine was thrown out of the Army for being too violent. His conduct whilst in Norther Ireland should have resulted in a prison sentance but it was carefully swept under the carpet (would'nt have been 20 years latyer) but evetually futher acts of mindless violence resulted in the end of his career. When he turned up back home we tried to keep him at arms length since none of us felt comfortable, he could turn into a total lunatic if someone smiled at the wrong time.

He struggled to hold a job down, no surprise there if he acted like he did normally.

But after a while he found the perfect employer, he was taken on by Nothants Police as a trainee. God knows waht happened to him, not seen or heard of him since about 1978.

further acts of mindless violence resulted in the end of his career. When he turned up back home we tried to keep him at arms length since none of us felt comfortable, he could turn into a total lunatic if someone smiled at the wrong time.

Sounds like Big Vern in Viz comic.

On the wall in our home 'office' sits a copy of the ''clag-gone'' cartoon from the pages of Viz, and yes it still makes me chuckle some what 30? years later.

I seem to recall Big Vern had a rival in a rival comic, a chap prone to extreme violence when mildly provoked who went by the name of Everard Edbutt.

I thought the comic in question was Zit, but wikepedia entry names it as Smut, maybe you, Galileo, who seems to have an extraordinary memory of which i am envious about such important items in British cultural history, could prononce judgement on whether it was indeed Zit or Smut, and also who would have been the hardest of these heroes of the boys tabloids.

My hero of younger days was an equally non pc chap, Captain Hurricane from the pages of Valiant, which i think became Tiger and Valiant.

Would be obliged for your input.

:-))

On the wall in our home 'office' sits a copy of the ''clag-gone'' cartoon from the pages of Viz, and yes it still makes me chuckle some what 30? years later.

I seem to recall Big Vern had a rival in a rival comic, a chap prone to extreme violence when mildly provoked who went by the name of Everard Edbutt.

I thought the comic in question was Zit, but wikepedia entry names it as Smut, maybe you, Galileo, who seems to have an extraordinary memory of which i am envious about such important items in British cultural history, could prononce judgement on whether it was indeed Zit or Smut, and also who would have been the hardest of these heroes of the boys tabloids.

My hero of younger days was an equally non pc chap, Captain Hurricane from the pages of Valiant, which i think became Tiger and Valiant.

Would be obliged for your input.

:-))

Regrettably my memory now lets me down sometimes, as in "What did I come upstairs for" moments, but I do recall seeing 'Smut' magazine when my son was in his early teens. Too busy with DIY repairs to our Victorian house to read it at the time though.

"... sorry to open up an old thread."

No need to apologise. On the contrary, I think most of us like to hear the end of stories, particularly one like this, which has been so difficult to resolve.

Three things are notable about this: the abject failure of the police to deal with the initial incident adequately; the marginally less awful behaviour of the insurance company; and the amazing tenacity of your good self, with a little bit of support from us.

It is appalling that the success of the case rested largely on the efforts of one person, because everyone in a position of authority who had the duty to act properly once information was passed to them initially failed to do so.

It has been a drain on your time and energy as a single mother of two children. At least you have some satisfaction that it has all been resolved, but for me it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - Avant

Thank you so much, JadieBee, for coming back and letting us know - and many congratulations on the successful outcome. You were so right to be persistent in the face of potential injustice - a lesser person might have given up.

And as moderator, may I thank the people on here who took the trouble to give advice, particularly, as ever, DVD. I hope your recovery is still progressing well.

Just like to add my thanks for the update and well done.

Personally with a character like that I think a smile could be misinterpreted as mocking - he's not normal !! keep smiles for normal people.

Vauxhall Corsa - Intentionally reversed into on a roundabout - RafflesNH

Quite agree Scott2, he clearly has anger management issues and I doubt it would need much provocation to unleash it all again. I even suggest that he is still acting provocatively in his recent attempts to 'park next to your car', so I would just give him a very wide berth indeed. Probably even consider changing your car if finances allow?

As bad habits usually die hard, it won't be long before he rubs someone else up the wrong way and he will have a new focus for his criminal 'leanings'. Unfortunately however, they will also probably be female victims too.

Very sad state of affairs indeed, but am glad that I now always have a dashcam recording my journeys, however short. I'm even considering obtaining a pepper spray for keeping in the car in case of road rage attacks. If the police aren't going to protect us, then who else will?