Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - mikejharvey

With drivers having been prosecuted for not being in proper control of their vehicles for exapmle, eating an apple whilst stopped at traffic lights, and similar, I wonder what the situation would be for an over-eager constable who spotted a driver parking with hands off the steering wheel using parking assist? One cannot have two sets of rules surely? The driver is either in control, or not! What do you think, or know?

Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - RT

If the driver can switch park assist off instantly, they're still in control.

Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - mikejharvey

If the driver can switch park assist off instantly, they're still in control.

I'd have thought so too, but would droppin the apple and grabbing the wheel satisfy an enthusiastic constable with targets to meet?

Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - Avant

I think it would be the same as if you were eating an apple in a car without park assist - you'd be unlucky to find such a zealous constable but they do exist.

Using park assist sans apple - you should be fine.

Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - daveyjp
You still have to drive the car even with park assist, it needs gas, brake and gear changes to work, only the steering is automated.

Had it on a car, don't miss it. Getting it to activate took longer than parking. A reversing camera is far better.
Parking assist. Driver in control or not? - concrete

I would have thought that a driver using an inbuilt system in the car which is under his control would be fine. I believe it is like Cruise Control, if you touch anything concerning the park assist it switches off. Surely ABS and Traction Control fall into this category. Are you in control or not??

Interesting question. Been living here for over 2 years now and not even seen a policeman yet, so the chances of me being caught by a zealous one or otherwise are remote. Cheers Concrete