Ford Focus Estate 1.6 petrol 55 reg - battery drain /isolator - billythefish

Hi

I have had and still have an intermiitent drain on car battery, new battery {bossch s3} fitted only a year ago,daily mileage 28/30 - annual 6-8k car will be fine for a period of 3 /6 weeks with no problem or 12/48 hours then battery totally flat,but starts first time when jump started. after a 4 or 5 times of this happening and becoming increasingly frustrated i booked the car into a reputable auto electrican who had the car on test for 12 hours but could not detect a drain but then would he ?? as it was intermittent and i had no idea when the battery would discharge, again totally frustrating at o.4.40 am when i left the house for work and the battery was totally flat - anyway cut a long story short on the advice of my garage/auto electician decieded to have a promax 12 v isolator fitted and it was explained that this would work if the isolator sensed a drain via the battery it would shut down everything, preserving enough power in the battery to restart the car - i know the isolator works as i have experienced drain on 3 or 4 occasions since having fitted and never failed UNTIL the a couple of days ago, a recent cold snap with tempratures down to +1 - -3 degrees, went to the car as normal tried to open with fob but nothing, opened with key as i could see that isolator had kicked in - nothing at all on dash display, no concerns at this point, expexting isolator to kick back in, when turning the ignition key as normal - but nothing at all, had to jump off the wifes audi, it was only then that the isolator kciked back in and it started first time - now not taking any chances due to early start, and disconnecting the positive termial after 14 mile journey, but have tested the isolator since and hey presto works fine after each 14 mile journey

advice appreciated

Ford Focus Estate 1.6 petrol 55 reg - battery drain /isolator - focussed

I recently helped diagnose a similar problem on a friend's Outlander.

It is fitted with 13 pin towing hitch, and he uses a 13 to 7 pin adaptor lead to hitch up to his small trailer.

He let the lead drag on the road and it wore through and shorted out the wires and blew the interior light fuse.

Can only think that the towing relay has it's permanent live fed from the interior light as fitted by an expert towbar fitter.

The towing relay was making a muted buzzing noise and there was a variable parasitic drain of 650 - 900 milliamps with the interior light fuse in and less than 50 ma with it removed.

He had the relay replaced and all is well. Hope ths helps!

Ford Focus Estate 1.6 petrol 55 reg - battery drain /isolator - elekie&a/c doctor
Finding an erratic battery drain can be often be an impossible task.Modern cars can take ages for the electrics to shut down,sometimes up to an hour.You may be better off to install a cut off switch that gives a full disconnection.There is one type that fits on the neg post of the battery and has a screw down connector bar.Some years ago,I had an Audi A3 that with exactly the same problem.It would run for weeks no problem ,the all of a sudden it would be flat overnight.Never did find the fault.Focus models are not known for any drain issues,but it may be an idea to check the cabin fuse box in the passenger footwell for any water ingress.