Passat 2.0 tdi - Vw stating problems - Prat
2009 Passat won't start until after several attempts this car only has 15000 on the clock I bought it from new . Also at times the esp error code shows , not every time but now and then , I'm more worried about the fact it had trouble starting .
Passat 2.0 tdi - Vw stating problems - RobJP

Too little information.

"Won't start". Does the engine turn over or not ? Is this on cold mornings, or all the time ? Has the battery been checked (properly !) or not ? Has the fuel filter been changed ? Are you leaving the glow plugs enough time to warm up before engaging the starter ?

IT happens all the time , the car is garaged. , so the cold isn't a problem. , but once I get the car started it runs fine , if I leave it for several hours the same problem occurs , the battery seems fine , I've tried all kinds of ways to start the car . The fuel filter was changed at the last service .

The engine doesn't turn over absolutley nothing happens
Passat 2.0 tdi - Vw stating problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Does this have the push in type ignition key?
- rpc1977

Edited by rpc1977 on 05/03/2016 at 22:24

Passat 2.0 tdi - Vw stating problems - GordonK

Hi There

This is worth checking My car VW Passat 2.0 tdi Sport 2008 with 125,000 miles has been having problems for a while and VW couldnt seem to get the problem solved.

What my car would do is start up fine on a frosty morning and then after about a mile it would just cut out and would eventually start by winding it over and over

I took it to VW and they said it was coming up with a fault on No. 4 injector so they suggested I have the injector wiring loom replaced as this is a common fault, i did this and it seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then a frosty morning and it broke down after about a mile same problem, went back to VW and they said it was showing a fault on No. 2 injector and quoted me a large bill to replace the injectors.

I was not happy with their diagnosis as at first they were saying it was No.4 injector and now it was No.2 this car had had the recall early in its life so I thought injectors should be fine and I didnt want them guessing with my money.

I took the car to a small independant garage that I trust and asked them to have a look, They found out that the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank was not working they said that this pump primes the fuel to the secondry pump on the engine and then it can pull the fuel through, on a frosty morning the diesel fuel is much heavier and that is why the engine pump could not pull it up without the tank pump working.

Now this made sense as the fuel in the filter bowl was enough to get me a mile down the road and then cut out.

Fuel pump changed and the car is running great I am plesed to say so I would advise you get the tank pump checked

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem