Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - albapa

Hi all,

The front struts were replaced on the car (Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005 2.0 HDI), and after a while a creaking-scraping noise developed from the front offside of the car. It only occurs at sharp left turns at low speeds, while the steering wheel is rotated. After quite a bit of investigation (it cannot be reproduced when stationary) I think I now what happens: the spring touches the inside of the chassis at a point, and there is a visible mark there where the plastic lining scraped off.

There are no obvious signs of the spring being broken or anything amiss. Does someone have an idea what could be the reason and how it could be rectified? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Albert

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - Cyd

Wheel arch liner not replaced in position properly?

No, that part is bonded to the metal so it cannot be loose. I am now suspecting the spring might be bent?

Now I looked properly and I am reasonably sure I was wrong and the scuff marks are not there becasue of the spring. I turned the steering wheel fully lock to lock and the spring never gets any close to be able to reach the body - the mark must have been left by something else.

Actually, you may well be right and the arch liner could have been moving as there is at least one stud missing on each side. I have ordered a handful.

The plan is that whenever I hear the noise next, I'll try to stop there and then and look what parts are touching.

Thanks for the advice!

It seems wheel liners were not the problems, the creaking persists.

I made a short video to capture the sound (engine switched off):

youtu.be/xBUdbLyLhOM

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - chas66

were the top bearings replaced,?are the springs at the stops?top and bottomof struts

were the top bearings replaced,?are the springs at the stops?top and bottomof struts so they do not move.

Yes, the bearings and top mounts (KYB brand) were also replaced when the struts. Springs seem to be well seated.

Maybe the bearing is defective?

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - slkfanboy

I think best practice is to replace the springs and the struts at the same time. In practice this does not happen due to cost. The logic being that if the strut need replace the spring have been taking a lot of extra strain.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - khcomp

Just listened to your video - that's 90% guaranteed to be the top strut bearing; either the new one was faulty, badly fitted or just not fitted at all. I'd also check that the springs are seated correctly & there hasn't been a break right at the bottom that you can't see against the spring seat.

Just listened to your video - that's 90% guaranteed to be the top strut bearing; either the new one was faulty, badly fitted or just not fitted at all. I'd also check that the springs are seated correctly & there hasn't been a break right at the bottom that you can't see against the spring seat.

You can run your finger down the spring and be able to feel a break or crack,the top mounts used to have an arrow on the rubber that must point to the front of car.you can also try lifting the full front end and let that mount nut off a bit then move wheel by hand and have a listen to the bearing

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - Andrew McLauchlin

I have just replaced a broken o/s coil spring and I also have what sounds like the same noise problem. (see below)

Edited by Andrew McLauchlin on 06/12/2017 at 18:40

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Citroen Xsara Picasso front strut problem - Andrew McLauchlin

Like albapa I also thought the new spring was binding against the wheel arch but now I see a different problem. The new spring - KYB so not a cheapy - slightly overhangs the lower and upper strut plates with signs that the coil slips partially off both plates when the wheel is turned ( you can see that paint has rubbed off the bottom spring coil where it slides off the plate.) This sends a clunking noise through the coil to the bodywork. Also the top bearing feels very tight. So I have ordered: new top (part rubber) mounting plate and bearing; new coil spring; and new strut. The diameter of the spring meets KYB specification so its apparent 'oversize' is a mystery. Weird! I'll report back!

Edited by Andrew McLauchlin on 06/12/2017 at 18:44