Citroen Xsara - Citoren Xsara 1.6 Front wheel noise - Arun

I have Citroen Xsara 1.6 model 2000. For past few months there is strange noise coming from the front wheel. The noise increases with the car's speed and when I turn left while the noise fades away, while if I turn to the right the sound continues. It was suggested that it is wheel bearing noise from the left wheel so I replaced the wheel bearing for left wheel, but the sound continued. Then it was suggested to change the CV joint for left axle, I also replaced the whole driveshaft for left side, but the sound still continues and it is becoming weird day by day.

I just cannot understand what is this strange noise coming from.

Please share your opinion on this.

Citroen Xsara - Citoren Xsara 1.6 Front wheel noise - RobJP

Get it into a garage who can get it up in the air, and ask them what the problem is, and to change the necessary parts.

What you're doing currently is called 'Car parts bingo'. Basically, you keep on randomly replacing bits until BINGO, you get it right.

Citroen Xsara - Citoren Xsara 1.6 Front wheel noise - Bolt

Probably find its the right hand wheel bearing, sometimes its difficult to tell without jacking car up and spinning wheel,always best to replace both bearings anyway as one usually follows the other, imo.

Citroen Xsara - Citoren Xsara 1.6 Front wheel noise - Peter.N.

I would concur, the noise usually increases when you increase the load on the bearing - but not always. Generally a worn bearing will only be noisy when under load so spinning the wheel off the road is unlikely to help.

The noise is usually caused by failure of the case hardening on the outer part of the bearing resulting in a pitted surface.

Hello Peter,

So what is your suggestion here, I did not get it properly. It would be nice if you can explain a bit more.

Thanks.

Hi Bolt,

I had a thought of replacing right wheel bearing as well, but the earlier left hand bearing replacement took us almost 10 hours to replace as everything was badly jammed in there.

So dont want to take that risk till I am fully sure about it. But if I don't succeed with anything else, then it will be the next one :D for sure.

Hi Rob,

All these parts replacement were done at the garage, we took the car up the lift tried to run it but there was no sound. All the youtube videos and other online media as well as mechanic suggested it is Left hand bearing as the sound stops when we turn left as there is no /less pressure on the left wheel.

After replacing the bearing when sound still continued the suggestion came as Drive shaft joint may have gone bad as its rubber was broken for some time. We tried checking it and finally did not find anything there and drove the car again after proper greasing the joint and replacing the gear oil. The sound still continued and we finally ended up replacing complete drive shaft.

Along with left hand driveshaft replacement, we opened right CV joint and replaced the rubber and greased it after checking.

Now this sound keeps me amazed why it still continues or where is it coming from.