Do we need to change the gearbox oil on our two-year-old Jazz?

My wife's two-year-old Honda Jazz with 13,000 miles is due a service and the dealer recommends changing the gearbox oil at the cost of £75. Is this necessary? There are no problems with the manual gearbox. The car was purchased with a three year PCP. Does this mean we have to use the dealer for the service or can we use a recognised independent specialist?

Asked on 21 February 2018 by Michael O'Callaghan

That's a sensible precaution because Jazz manuals have always been vulnerable to shrapnel getting into the transmission bearings. Use the Honda dealer or you could void the warranty and probably be in breach of the PCP.