I put AdBlue in my diesel tank - why do manufacturers put the caps so close together?

I've accidentally put AdBlue in my diesel tank, which seems to be a really bad thing (possibly worse than petrol in a diesel car). Why do Renault put the filling caps so close together? It's a fundamental design fault and the work of the devil. It sounds like an incredibly stupid thing to do, but apparently muscle memory takes over, especially early in the morning.

Asked on 15 February 2018 by JONATHAN PRICE

AdBlue usually only needs replenishing after 5000 - 6000 miles, so this issue hasn't cropped up before.