The gearbox on my Volvo V40 has failed - is this common?

I own a 2014 Volvo V40. I've had it since new and just reached 49,000 miles. Last week, I began hearing an unwelcome noise whilst driving and left the car with my mechanic to locate the source of the noise. Turns out the gearbox has crapped itself. Is this common?

It probably has a Ford 1.6 TDCi engine and transmission. The clutches and DMFs on these have been failing like mad because the clutch slave cylinder leaks. It's a fundamental flaw with the car. Should be fixed by the supplying dealer FoC.