Will Volkswagen pay for my new EGR after it was broken by the emissions fix?

My 2010 Volkswagen Golf went into limp mode after the emission fix. I paid £763 for a new EGR and have written to Volkswagen asking for a full refund. Although my car is seven years old, I've only done 31,000 miles. Will they refund me?

Asked on 12 August 2017 by David Slater

I think they should. And owners are currently receiving letters indicating that they will look sympathetically at such post fix claims. This is part of the letter that went out to Skoda owners: “if a customer makes a complaint to an Authorised Repairer or to the Volkswagen Group in respect of a failure of the EGR, fuel injection system or emissions after treatment system within 24 months following the date of the implementation of the technical measures, in respect of a vehicle with mileage not exceeding 160,000 miles, SKODA will consider the complaint very carefully and if such complaint was established to have arisen as a result of the implementation of the technical measures, then Skoda will act responsibly and swiftly, in line with its goodwill policy, as supplemented in the annex, to respond to the consumers’ reasonable concerns.”