Latest MoT Results REVEALED: What is your car likely to fail on? | No thanks

Will a hybrid car still give good mpg on long journeys and country roads?
I currently drive a 2011 Fiat Bravo Multijet diesel - I bought it for the MPG and it hasn't disappointed in that regard, although it's irritatingly unreliable and handling isn't great. Despite living in the city centre I regularly commute 200+ miles on both motorways and country roads. The Fiat is living up to it's 'Fix It Again Tomorrow' joke - and I'm worried about taxes coming in on diesels as I regularly work in cities. I need a car that can handle both motorway driving and tricky country roads. I've been looking at hybrids hoping I could get a similar MPG to the diesel, but all the reviews say they're not great on motorways and country roads. Should I give up and go for a petrol engine or take the risk with a diesel? I'm looking for something under £20,000.

Asked on 24 May 2017 by Cea Law

In 2004 I had a Toyota Prius II and its overall average over 3776 miles was 48.83mpg, which wasn't so great. Then in In 2011 had to deliver an Auris hybrid 300 miles, mostly motorway, and it did 63mpg, so they got better. Phenomenal reliability. Low maintenance costs. I'd go for the lighter Toyota Auris rather than the Prius.

Our Fuel Cost Calculator shows you which will be the best choice for you. Compare the running costs of petrol, diesel and electric cars to make the right choice for you.
Real MPG enables you to register the fuel economy you are actually getting against your make and model of car, its engine and type of transmission. Every time you enter an average consumption figure against your car, the overall average automatically adjusts to reflect it.
Roomy cabin and big boot. Five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating. Excellent 1.4 T-Jet petrol. Strong MultiJet diesels.
Much better than the original. An enjoyable, practical, safe, economical hybrid. Looks good, too. Prius Taxis have run to 400,000 miles plus with very little trouble.
Sharper looking than original Auris. Good quality feel to the interior. Popular hybrid version offers low CO2, 60mpg, low maintenance and phenomenal reliability. Well built.
Low emissions of 70g/km. Relaxed, quiet and comfortable. Spacious cabin. Lots of safety kit as standard.

£155.08