WIN: A bundle of Christmas prizes, worth more than £1500 Click here to enter today  | No thanks

What small, economic, reliable car do you recommend for £6000?

I'm wanting to buy a small, economic car for my 19 year old daughter to travel between university and our home. I really don't want to pay more than £6000, however, want a safe reliable car that will also take tall family members. I've looked at the Skoda Citigo 1.0 MPI and Hyundai i10 1.0 SE. What do you suggest?

Asked on 24 May 2017 by annabel hinchcliffe

You can still buy a new Dacia Sandero 1.0 for £6000, but no radio, no spare wheel and wind-up windows. It actually has the same engine as a Smart and a Renault Twingo. The Up, Citigo and Mii have not been as reliable as the i10 and Picanto and, of those two, a secondhand i10 1.0 is better to drive. The new Picanto is brilliant, but from £10,000.