Toying with the idea of buying a 'new' Beetle - is this a good idea?

I have toyed with idea of buying an old-ish Volkswagen Beetle as second car for fun, maybe for 4000 miles a year. I have seen a 2003 2.0 petrol manual with genuine 16000 miles although I'm sure when the timing belt was done. Are there any issues to watch out for, eg. suspension bushes? The MoT is out as the owner only did 500 miles a year! The car would cost me £1250, possibly less.

Asked on 24 December 2016 by edward russell

Here are the goods and bads for this Beetle: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/beetle-19.../ Also worth a look at the goods and bads for the Golf V: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-v-20.../

£1250 is cheap enough.