Mazda 6 diesel - keep or sell?

You have answered a couple of questions for me before, regarding the Mazda 6. I use one for business and cover 20,000 miles a year. I have heard of oil issues with the Mazda 6 diesel engine, exceeding the "X" and causing problems rendering the engine useless. Obviously EGR valve, DMF & DPF are also still a point of expensive failure too.

I am now at 36,000 miles on the clock. In terms of planning for the future (I do not expect you do have a crystal ball) when do I get rid of it?

Asked on 26 August 2016 by David

The DPF regenerates both passively and actively. Passively the soot in it gets partially burned off by the heat generated by the engine. But every 250 miles or so, active regeneration will cycle that involves injecting the engine with extra diesel to effectively create a fire in the DPF and burn off any accumulated soot. It's this cycle that can go wrong and dump diesel down the bores into the sump, contaminating the sump oil and eventually rising to a level where a compression ignition engine starts to run uncontrollably on its sump oil. If you set the instant consumption indicator you will see this happening by an increase in fuel consumption. Important not to switch the engine off while it is actively regenerating.