Used car has broken down - Is the manufacturer or seller liable?

I purchased a used 2012 Renault Megane with 61,000 miles on the clock from an independant garage three months ago. The car still has six months Renault warranty.

Within the first month the car broke down with faulty glow plugs which was replaced under warranty by Renault. Two months later car broke down again this time turbo has gone, Renault insist they wont repair it unless they have proof (via an invoice) that the previous owners used the correct grade oil when servicing.

Spoke to garage we bought from as they had purchased car from a leasing company but all they can provide is an email with dates and mileages car was serviced. On further investigation the lease company hadn't undertook the servicing but the person they leased the car had and they haven't got any invoices or details. Renault are quoting £1900 to replace the turbo. Are we able to take this back to the garage we bought it from and ask for a repair under the Consumer rights act?

Asked on 29 June 2016 by shaunsmonkey

The garage you bought the car from is liable for six months from date of purchase. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/