Dealer won't repair faulty gauge - What are my rights?

My step-son purchased a second hand Alfa Romeo from a dealership two weeks ago. He paid an additional £400 for a 15 month warranty. As he was driving home he noticed the oil temperature gauge was not working.

The dealer has now indicated the cost of the repair will be £1000 as it is not covered under the warranty. Has the dealer a legal responsibility to either repair the vehicle or offer a full refund?

Asked on 11 April 2016 by Kevinjc

In a word, yes. A statutory obligation under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and a legal obligation from previous statutory and case law. Nothing whatsoever to do with the warranty that cannot legally cover a pre-existing fault anyway. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/