Buying ex rental car? Questionable history

I am in discussions with a leading car super market about buying an ex hire car, approx 12 months old. I did an on line data check and iit claims the car has not been taxed for the last 6 months. Car has done approx 18 k miles. Car supermarket has no explanation. Any suggestions to why no tax? What should I look out for when buying an ex rental car?

Asked on 16 January 2016 by Mckins

It is quite common for rental cars to do a big mileage in a few months, then sit unsold for a period (determined by contract) before they reach the age when they can be re-sold. This one definitely needs a full service and the cost of that needs to be added to the asking price.

HJ