What is the emissions situation on larger and thirstier diesel engines?

With all the current hype about diesel cars, the fact that all commercial transport is oil fuelled seems to have been overlooked. What is the emissions situation on these much larger and thirstier engines? Diesel cars seem to be getting all the blame.

Asked on 25 September 2015 by Andy Taylor

HGVs have DPFs with SCR AdBlue systems. That's why you see so many plastic tanks of AdBlue at motorway fuel stations. Truck diesel engines can be run on CNG, but that involves carrying a rack of around 20 gas tanks behind the cab of the truck. Not a great solution.