Would you recommend the Volvo V70 or the Ford Mondeo estate for towing a horsebox?

I am considering buying either a Volvo V70 or Ford Mondeo estate. We need a diesel to do two long journeys abroad a year and modest mileage in the UK, possibly to pull a medium-sized horse trailer with up to two ponies. Looking at your site it appears that the 2.0TDCi/2.2TDCi has the edge, but may require more servicing costs, although you indicate that the V70 2.4d is not as bombproof as Volvo's reputation suggests, and I have seen comments about dual mass flywheels problems affecting Volvo's generally. It will be either an '07 or '08 plate, subject to funds and prices available. Any thoughts, or are there others to consider? It is likely that we will hang on to this for next 10 years.

Asked on 3 July 2010 by ipms

I'd go for the Mondeo. Much less grief.