Will a Porsche 911 996 C2 be a money pit?

I have my eye on a Porsche 911 996 C2 cabriolet, the ‘facelifted’ version with 3.6-litre engine etc. It’s a 2002 with 58,000 on the clock and a full service history (Porsche main dealer for years 1-3 and an independent specialist since). At £18,000 it looks like a lot of car for the money. On the one hand I’m thinking it can’t depreciate a whole lot more and on the other that I could potentially be buying a money pit. I would welcome your thoughts.

Asked on 30 March 2013 by SS, East Sussex

Risky, because a new engine is £12,000 or more and is often required. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/porsche/911-996-c2-c.../

A 997 is less risky, even if it means forgoing the soft top to get one for the same money. Autocar did a useful buying guide to 911s in its 27 February 2013 issue.