Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

I want a fun sports car and have been recommended the Mazda MX-5 - what do you think?

I would like to buy a secondhand sports car for occasional fun use. I have a budget of £3000 - £3500. The Mazda MX-5 has been suggested. What is your opinion and are there any other possibilities that will be reliable and won't cost the earth to run?

Asked on 7 June 2010 by zaziep

Answered by David Ross
Most people with your requirements choose the MX-5 and it's easy to see why. It's great fun to drive, well built and cheap to run. There are also a huge number of MX-5 specialists and a great network of enthusiasts so parts and repairs are affordable. There are also plenty on the used market and for your budget you can get a tidy T-plate MX-5 1.8i with just 44,000 miles on the clock. Another car to consider is the Toyota MR2.