Mazda 3 suffering DPF issues

My Mazda 3 recently had a refill of the DPF fluid and forced regeneration by a main dealer due to an engine management light coming on, which produced DPF related error codes.

The car subsequently ran fine for a couple of months, however, the engine light has come back on and again the error codes point to the DPF. I have also noticed that acceleration power is well down and fuel economy has dropped from the usual 50mpg to 40mpg.

It is currently back with the dealer, as I feel my usual local garage may be unequipped to deal with the issue, but I would like some ideas for what may be wrong and what may put it right for when the garage come back to me

Asked on 2 August 2013 by TheJudge09

Usually this engine, whether in a Ford or a Citroen or a Peugeot or a Mazda needs a new DPF at around 80k miles. The engine can also suffer a variety of other problems due to coking up of the oil supply to the turbo. These are listed in the 2004-2008 Focus entry in www.honestjiohn.co.uk/carbycar