Which medium hatchback is suitable for transporting a lawnmower?

I have occasional need to transport my lawnmower and am now seeking to replace my 10-year-old Golf Estate. What medium-sized hatchbacks are there with a flat load area, i.e. no lip, which would serve my purpose without the extra expense of an estate model?

Asked on 17 March 2012 by DH, via email

There aren't any at all. Only small estates, such as the Fabia, 207SW, Ibiza ST, Clio ST, Nemo, Bipper, Qubo, Berlingo, Partner or Kangoo. Hatchbacks need a strong lip at the back to give them strength for rear impacts, much more strengthening has to go into the rear structure of an estate.