Why won't the police hand over lost car keys?

My wife managed to lose her car keys and despite having security tags on them, they have not been handed in. What is annoying is that I found out that the police do not forward any keys handed in with security tags on to the security firms, or phone them. With the closing of police stations, how do you know which one to ask? Hopefully my letter to the Chief Constable will remedy this problem. At £155 it is a costly mistake. I found out later that Timpsons are cheaper if they do your type of programmed key.

That's nice of the police, isn't it? I also recommend Timpsons, but very good online operators, endorsed by readers, include www.lkmonline.com and www.keyfobrepair.co.uk.