My Skoda Octavia has proven to be unreliable - will a Toyota Avensis be an improvement?

I have an '05 reg Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI Estate that has done just over 90,000 miles. Since buying it a couple of years ago I have had to replace the turbo, flywheel, crank sensor, a temperature sensor, a couple of glow plugs and it is now in the garage having a new vacuum unit installed. I'm sick of it and am thinking of changing it for an '07 plate Toyota Avensis 2.0-litre diesel with 33,000 miles on the clock. Would I be risking having similar problems buying a car of this age? Is there any other car of this size etc that I should have a look at? I don't have much to spend and doubt I could afford a newer car.

Asked on 12 June 2011 by GP, Coalville

Octavia 1.9 diesels are usually reliable, so I wonder if you inadvertently bought a clocked ex-taxi? Toyota had a few cylinder head problems with early examples of its chain cam D-4D that came in during 2006. More here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-2003/

If it had to be a diesel, why not a Civic 2.2iCDTI? Though it doesn't need to be a diesel. Last week I got 45mpg out of a Civic 1.8i petrol, driving at the speed limits almost all the time: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-2006/?se...t