Can you recommend a small, versatile, economic car to tow a small trailer?

I am recently retired and despair of finding a car that is basic enough for me. My priorities are versatility for carrying loads, safety, economy, and the ability to tow a small trailer. Gadgets and comfort are irrelevant. Past cars have been 2CVs, Ladas, Land Rovers and Polos. I don't need cup holders, a/c, heated seats, etc. I am wondering if a small pick-up might be the answer - something like the old Golf pick-up. Is there anything that might fit the bill?

Asked on 2 November 2010 by DH, Bakewell

The smallest is the Proton Jumbuck, if you can still get one. There have been no RHD imports of the Dacia Logan pick-up yet (see here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/dacia-logan-pi.../) or of the small FIAT pick-ups you sometimes see in mainland Europe.

Next up, the Mitsubishi L200 which, with the shorter load bed, is the smallest 'full size' pick up. Your best bet is probably a utility car, such as a Citroen Berlingo Multispace, Peugeot Partner or Renault Kangoo, or the smaller Citroen Nemo, FIAT Qubo or Peugeot Bipper.