How do I go about registering an old barn find vehicle?

I have discovered an old car in a garage I recently bought. It has all the old paperwork but doesn't appear to be registered with the DVLA. How can I register it and transfer ownership?

Asked on 9 April 2023 by Clare

Answered by David Ross
If the car has not been registered with the DVLA, you will need to apply for a registration certificate (V5C) using the information available from the old paperwork. You can do this by completing the V62 form and sending it to the DVLA along with the appropriate fee.

The V62 form is available to download from the DVLA website or can be obtained from a Post Office. You will need to provide information about the car, such as the make, model, and year of manufacture, as well as details about yourself as the new owner.

Once you have received the registration certificate, you can transfer ownership by completing the appropriate section of the document and sending it to the DVLA. This will update the DVLA's records and officially transfer ownership of the car to you.

It's worth noting that if the car hasn't been registered with the DVLA for a long time, it may need to undergo a registration inspection before it can be registered. This is to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy and meets the required safety standards. You can find out more about registration inspections on the DVLA website.
Similar questions
I have owned my 1965 Volkswagen Beetle 1300 since early 1966. The reg is GXE 537C but it has been off the road for many years. I am aiming to sell it but DVLA tell me it has no record of the vehicle. I...
I own a Fiat X19 which is SORN at the moment while I make repairs. The car was made in 1984 but I was told by the DVLA that since it was not registered in this country until 1989 ( it was used in Jersey...
When is a main dealer able to register with the DVLA a brand new vehicle he has on order in my name?

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer