What should I buy to replace a Ford Focus?

Our Ford Focus 1.8 Edge has just passed its MoT with 160,000 miles and still goes like a rocket - everything works. The engine has never been apart and it has the same clutch, exhaust, alternator etc. At the end of this year it will be goodbye. What should we buy next?

Asked on 24 January 2022 by Richard Atkinson

Most conventional Focus buyers are now looking at crossover SUVs. The Ford Puma is one of our favourites – could be a good choice if it's big enough (it's more Fiesta than Focus-sized, although it does have a surprisingly big boot thanks to a 'megabox' storage bay in the boot). If you'd rather stick with a family-sized hatch, a Toyota Corolla Hybrid ought to be a very reliable choice with low running costs.
Tags: hatchbacks