Mercedes A Crass

I am a private punter thinking of buying a 2002 - 2003 Mercedes A Class at auction (probably Westbury) when one comes up in the listings. Any tips? Or would I be better off going to a dealer through eBay or Auto Trader? As it's a diesel I suppose I shouldn't be afraid of 100,000 miles. Any help much appreciated.

Asked on 12 December 2009 by

Don't. The first model of A Class 1998 – 2004 has the greatest potential for extremely expensive failures of any small car. The current model A Class, from 2005, is a different ‘class’ of car.