Is a 1997 Land Rover Discovery going to be a lot of trouble?

Someone in my family is keen to buy a Land Rover Discovery Mk1 (2.5-litre diesel), which has been converted into a one-person camper van. It's a 1997 reg and the asking price is £3995. This seems to be a very high price for potentially a lot of trouble. Please give me your opinion.

Asked on 23 February 2021 by hector maclean

It is strong money for potentially a lot of trouble but, with the rise in staycations, the campervan market is extremely buoyant at the moment. Its value comes down to its condition and the quality of the conversion. The original Discovery is practically a classic car and most have now been scrapped (often due to rust issues). If it's a rust-free example that's been sympathetically converted into a camper using good materials and the right insulation, £4000 could be a bargain. If it's a rusty heap with a mattress chucked into the back, it probably isn't worth £1000.