Which secondhand car would be the best buy from a low emissions point of view?

I can't buy an electric car (nowhere for a charging point) and I don't like automatics so hybrids are out. Which secondhand car would be the best buy from a low emissions point of view? I also want reasonable comfort, reliability and low maintenance.

Asked on 13 October 2020 by Barbara Goddard

It reads like you want a mild-hybrid petrol car. These vehicles are offered with a manual gearbox and use an additional battery to recover energy under braking and deacceleration to boost fuel economy and reduce tailpipe emissions. The Suzuki Swift 1.0 and 1.2-litre petrol are offered with this mild-hybrid tech.