Should I refurb or replace my kerbed alloy wheels?

I damaged two of my 2015 Fiat 500 alloy wheels on a kerb and each has a small chip on the rim. Refurbishing two wheels costs £160 - £220 and I will not be sure that they are safe.
Fiat wheels are £700 - £1200 for four, and replacement alloys (Dare, Calibre, Autec) are around £400 - £500 for four. What is your opinion of the non-manufacturer replacement wheels?

Asked on 23 June 2020 by John F

Unless your alloy wheels are severely damaged, replacing them sounds like a waste of money compared to have them refurbished. Replacing them with aftermarket wheels will lower its resale value, could impact fuel economy and might upset the ride quality. You'll have to notify your insurance company, too.