Is it a good time to buy a new car?

I have a 2011 Nissan Juke (petrol, manual), which I love, but it has now done 50,000 miles. I'm thinking of trading it in for a newer one. Is it a good time to do this with the showrooms just reopening? Many thanks.

Asked on 11 June 2020 by Gavin Stott

If you're not in a rush, it might be worth waiting. There's a shortage of new cars at the moment (due to factories closing) yet quite a lot of pent-up demand, so there aren't the good deals available you might expect. Add to this the hassle of buying and test driving a car while following social-distancing guidelines, and it makes a lot of sense to wait a few months. That said, showrooms are now open so there's nothing stopping you looking for a new car. And, if you're happy to buy remotely, there are lots of companies and websites offering delivery to your door. The new Nissan Juke is a significant step on from its predecessor - we'd recommend it.