What used car do you recommend for a 150 mile daily commute?

I travel 150 miles a day, up to four days a week and need a comfortable, highly economical car at an affordable price. My thinking is to get something about three years old, with about 30,000 miles on the clock, at about £15,000, and then I won’t really have the mileage anxiety of a PCP based upon a fixed rate of miles of a new car. What car will suit me?

Asked on 29 May 2019 by Adam Robinson

We'd be looking for a Kia Optima. The 1.7-litre diesel engine is very frugal and you'll get a year-old example for £15k. It will have the remainder of its seven-year warranty left and it's a very comfortable, well-equipped car for covering high miles. A Skoda Superb would be another good choice or if you'd prefer something a bit smaller, a Honda Civic. You'll get the latest shape example of the latter with the excellent 1.6 i-DTEC diesel engine.